Filling and Sanding Question For a Space: 1999 Eagle

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TD1701

Filling and Sanding Question For a Space: 1999 Eagle

Post by TD1701 »

Hi Everyone,

I am currently working on a 1/72 MPC Space 1999 Eagle and I have a question for anyone who has built one of these in the past. On the command module there are circular depressions on either side and I want to know what is the best way to fill and sand those areas? I have just about every other part of it filled and sanded and this is the last step before I can start painting.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac32 ... 185531.jpg

If anyone out there has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom
TazMan2000

Re: Filling and Sanding Question For a Space: 1999 Eagle

Post by TazMan2000 »

Those depressions are supposed to be there. Don't fill them in, but you might want to find or make some dish shaped pieces to fit in those depressions.

TazMan2000
naoto

Post by naoto »

Naoto Kimura
木村直人
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

My apologies fellas and thanks for the replies! I meant that I wanted to fill that seam, not fill it in entirely. If there is something out there that I could glue into areas without having to do much filling and sanding, that would be great!!

Thanks,

Tom
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Three suggestions. If you have a mini drill or an engraving tool, you can CAREFULLY try to sand the area with an appropriate sanding head. Still hazardous, though.
Another way is cheating: a die-punched, thin piece of styrene (e. g. with a paper hole puncher, or a belt punch) could be glued into the hole and simply cover the seam.
Another, less crisp option is to fill the hole with white glue, and let it dry thoroughly. This might rather create a shallow but even depression, but cover the seam well. Since the whole kit does not look very crisp, this might be the easiest option, and you can peel the dry glue off pretty easily, if it does not look good.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Use Aves. Make just the tiniest little rope of Aves and work it into the seam. Feather it out with a brush and safety solvent and you may not even have to sand it.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks for all the great suggestions everybody!! :D Sorry for the late reply here, I was offline for the last few days and I was only able to get back at it today.

I am intrigued by the white glue solution dizzyfugu. What would be the best way to get it in there without overdoing it? Also, would a regular punch work if I can find one close to the same size?

Lt.ZomBe, I am a fan of Aves and use it quite often. What type of safety solvent would you suggest I buy if I went that route?

Thanks, Again,

Tom
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

TD1701 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Lt.ZomBe, I am a fan of Aves and use it quite often. What type of safety solvent would you suggest I buy if I went that route?

Thanks, Again,

Tom
I literally meant the safety solvent that you get from Aves. Failing that, perhaps alcohol (denatured or 90-percent ISO) or even good, old fashioned water would work too if you're willing to work at it just a bit more.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks Kenny!

I actually found a fella on another forum who makes metal inserts for those depressions as well as the bells for the rocket motors for this size eagle. I ordered a pair and waiting for them to arrive to how well they will look on the eagle.

Tom