Engines and weapons ???

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

artic316

Engines and weapons ???

Post by artic316 »

:?: just wondering if anyone knows of a resource that makes scifi engines and armament for battleships/fighters ? I am going through some of my designs and need a few parts. Any information will be greatly appreciated. :D
improvise adapt and overcome.We are the fellowship of modelers.
naoto

Post by naoto »

V'LOCKer toys might be a source for interesting parts:
http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/vlockers/wepn04.html/
http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/vlockers/wepn08.html/
(actually these re interesting -- in that individual parts are relatively generic -- it's how you combine them changes the character. For example a row of "cogwheel" parts becomes "chainsaw". A cluster of tubes connected by "drive wheels" into cluster turns into "gatling", a stack of wheels mounted on shaft with "turbine" at one end and "exhaust" becomes "jet engine", etc.)

perhaps you can find stuff out of Zoids toys?

I do vaguely recall some motorized vehicles (sort of like the Tamiya mini-4WD cars, but they were SF themed combat vehicles), for which there were various "weapon" and "accessory" parts (varying from things that look like some blaster guns, gatling guns, drill bits, etc, as well as things that looked like jet exhausts, turbine wheels, etc.) -- don't remember the manufacturer -- it was more than a decade ago (though Aoshima comes to mind).

Wave has the Option System parts which could be used for various things
http://www.hobby-wave.com/LINE_UP/optio ... index.html
I also recall there's a Korean manufacturer that sells similar items - typically targeted to the Gunpla (Gundam plastic model) audience, but would be usable for general SF type projects.

also various "found items" or "recycled items" could be useful -- including stuff like toothpaste caps ("jet nozzle"), ballpoint pen parts, etc. Parts from broken printers, CD/DVD-ROM drives, etc could yield usable parts. Key point here is to combine the parts in various ways. L'Eggs pantyhose used to come in largish egg-shaped containers have been used in various studio models (e.g. the domes on the front of the nacelles on the Y-wing). Similarly plastic Easter egg capsule could be used for "rocket engine bell" -- just add some strips to make it look like the plumbing regenerative cooling and fuel lines.

Relatively simple shapes combined in various ways could yield interesting effect -- take a look at these model rockets.
http://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits ... decim8.htm
http://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits ... /tesla.htm
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Take a trip to a DIY store and keep your eyes open. You will find a lot of potential donation parts there that can be used for engine parts. :wink:
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
naoto

Post by naoto »

Also when looking for donor parts from other model kits, you can do what folks in the SFX folks have done -- get parts from anywhere -- potentially useful stuff can found in just about any model kit (aeroplanes, cars, trucks, tranks, artillery, ships, etc.)
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Define "scifi engines"

Wave, Kotobukiya, & Bandai make exhaust bells and all manor of detail bits. If you want bigger then haunt the thrift stores for discount Christmas ornaments and Easter eggs. Then buy a lot of strip and shape stock from Evergreen Plastic.

Scifi weapons? Laser shooty things? Depends on what you're trying to build.
Abolish Alliteration
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

naoto wrote:Also when looking for donor parts from other model kits, you can do what folks in the SFX folks have done -- get parts from anywhere -- potentially useful stuff can found in just about any model kit (aeroplanes, cars, trucks, tranks, artillery, ships, etc.)
And hairdryer parts, sections of terrariums, greeting card display racks, and eye-liner applicators, and a few other things... :8)
________
Joe Brown
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Dollar store champagne "glasses" are an inexpensive source of engine exhaust bells. Party store shot glasses - test-tube type or 'regular'; plastic beach and kids' toys, while not the best plastic, are usable with the right glue. Plastic spoons are great for bulges and the handles can be anything stantion-like.

You could use non-name-brand lego-type blocks for engines/retro/attitude-control jets. I find all kinds of interesting build materials at my local thrift/charity shops. :)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

*smack* yes I'd forgotten about plastic drinking glasses. Just learn to tell the difference between styrene and PETE. Tip, clear styrene is usually much harder,
Abolish Alliteration
artic316

Thats awesome

Post by artic316 »

Thank you for the resource links. The engines are great. The weapons/guns I was looking for is the star blazers style I wanted to know if there was a package of heavy and medium guns like that on the Yamamoto. Thanks fellow modellers.
improvise adapt and overcome.We are the fellowship of modelers.