Can you tint/dye Aves during the mixing process?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kenlilly106

Can you tint/dye Aves during the mixing process?

Post by kenlilly106 »

Got a kit windscreen that matches up to the canopy fine but the lower edge of the frame is short of the fuselage.

I can fill the gap with Aves, I'm not worried about that part, I'm worried that the Aves will show up inside the canopy between it and the dashboard.

I had to glue the main canopy first because it didn't fit well at the aft end but it set the location of the windscreen so I won't be able to touch up anything afterwards.

Ken
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes you can use powers, even just charcoal dust, to color Aves. I would avoid using liquid, i.e. paint, to try and color it.

You can also get it in various colors.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Get thee to Hobby Lobby and get some Winsor and Newton inks. They are pigmentless and as such, will mix perfectly with the putty. If you get some of the Aves paste or are willing to then it sufficiently with safety solvent, you can even inject it like caulk using a syringe and hypodermic needle.

TER-OR (Terry M) taught me these methods and I used them successfully around several canopies, wiping smooth with a alcohol soaked cotton swab or brush.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

UPDATE

I ended up trying mixing in some dark gray pastel powder with some Aves and it worked fine. It does dry out the Aves a little bit but adding in some water made it sticky and easier to work.

It's doesn't take much pastel powder to tint a small bit, I mixed up a pea-sized blob of Aves and it probably took the same amount of powder you'd get on the tip of a knife blade to tint it

Ken
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yay! Of course now that Lt. Zombe has said inks work I'm going to have to give that a try.
Abolish Alliteration
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I thought about trying it with ink but figured I'd make less of a mess with pastels...
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:Yay! Of course now that Lt. Zombe has said inks work I'm going to have to give that a try.
Thank Terry. He showed this once at Wonderfest I think it was. But yeah, the gray Aves I can get to almost perfectly match cockpit or canopy frame colors if I use some black and/or blue ink.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.