Major differences between resin and styrene

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

anduril

Major differences between resin and styrene

Post by anduril »

I looked through the pinned posts but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

What are the pros and cons of resin models versus styrene? I've only ever worked with styrene so that's what I'm familiar with. I'm thinking about ordering some resin models from StarCraft.

What pieces of advice would you give a beginner in resin like me? Construction, painting, etc?
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

I really haven't found any painting differences. Yes there are examples of bad resin pieces that misbehave but for the most part just wash and prime like any plastic kit. Resin is heavier and there can be sagging issues.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Resin requires pinning and different glues. Cleanup is usually different as resin can have huge pour stubs, horrible seams, misaligned sides, etc.

When it comes to paint the biggest difference is resin pretty much mandates a primer.

I thought we had something on resin here...
Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Kylwell wrote:Resin requires pinning and different glues. Cleanup is usually different as resin can have huge pour stubs, horrible seams, misaligned sides, etc.

When it comes to paint the biggest difference is resin pretty much mandates a primer.

I thought we had something on resin here...
Pinning??
Normal?? What is normal??
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Pinning helps reinforce the butt joint you'll encounter with resin kits. You drill corresponding holes in both mating surfaces and use a short length of wire, tubing, etc to enforce the joint.
Abolish Alliteration
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I would also add that resin almost always seems to be rougher on the sculpt, so if you want a flawless model it can take more work. But that can also be the fun part. I have seen a few near-perfect resin models. And of course there are plenty of bad styrene kits.

Not much else that hasn't been said though. As long as you don't get a weepy, saggy piece of resin it's truly just another kit.

-Rog
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

A lot depends on who produces the kit. I have some which require a lot of work to get the pieces to fit well, others (like Atomic City/Captain Cardboard) look like styrene kits just from a different material.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

And it's why there are few people I'll buy resin casting from anymore. While I appreciate the work there are far too many people who master models and then insist on doing the casting too. Great modelers, crappy casters.
Abolish Alliteration
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Yes we've had our share of resin turds, then on the flip side Kip Hart's Blackbird kit was better than some styrene kits.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
naoto

Post by naoto »

... and companies like Volks is taking resin in a novel direction with lineup like the Charagumin figures:
http://www.volks.co.jp/en/charagumin/whats.html/
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

The only resin Pieces I've had are from the PL Batmobile which came with resin figures, the pilot from the Moebius Viper MkII and the booster pack for the deluxe edition 1999 Eagle and the booster pack almost looks like styrene, very high quality, at least to me anyway.
Normal?? What is normal??
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

As for glues, cyanoacrylate & epoxy are your friends. Plastic glue won't touch it.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Check out this thread and I think you'll have all the information you need:

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... hp?t=34290

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
anduril

Post by anduril »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:Check out this thread and I think you'll have all the information you need:

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... hp?t=34290

Kenny
Thanks! That had a little bit more information than this thread.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

So... you missed that pinned thread?
Abolish Alliteration
anduril

Post by anduril »

Kylwell wrote:So... you missed that pinned thread?
No I read it. I made this one because I was looking for pros and cons of both materials. I should've made that more clear.
rayra

Post by rayra »

Richard Baker wrote:A lot depends on who produces the kit. I have some which require a lot of work to get the pieces to fit well, others (like Atomic City/Captain Cardboard) look like styrene kits just from a different material.
Emphatically this. Be aware of or research the quality of the products of the maker. A pour mix on a two part resin product will give you no end of trouble in building and finishing it. Try to get / find images of the kit parts before you buy.

Other than that, not much different. In some ways better and more messy.
Signature Intentionally Left Blank