UV Glue?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

UV Glue?

Post by Tchail »

Has anyone heard about UV glue?

It's glue that remains liquid until exposed to UV light.

I first heard about this on an infomercial last night, but in thinking about it, this stuff has been around for years at the dentist's office:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE2B1ET-p1Q

It seems to be optically clear, so it sounds like it might be great for creating windows...

:D
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

..or for gluing various clear bits to one another. I caught part of the Discovery Sci Channel "All-American Makers" where they showcased the UV adhesive for retail sales.

It looked very promising to me... but, after seeing many too-good-to-be-true products come and go since the mid-1970's, I'm now officially too cranky and too old and too broke to be the guinea-pig anymore. :8) I do await modeling field trial reports with some interest, because if if it really does work as they say, it would be VERY useful!
________
Joe Brown
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

In another forum the general reaction was "meh" at best from those who tried it.

Consensus was that it was messy to use and wasn't as strong as advertised (or implied).

I know there are some industrial grades that have been used for years in various applications and work well but I think they're too pricey for this "as seen on TV!" application.

Ken
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I got a tube of Bondic for just this reason.

First off, it doesn't cure hard, more of a hard rubbery feel. So sanding and polishing (as in windows) are out. If you can get it in without smearing any around the edges, it would make a more robust window.

It does cure clear, but I've noticed it yellows quite a bit over even a year or so.

It does not adhere to styrene very well. I tried using varying sized gaps, so the UV could reach all the way through. They pop off pretty easily.

What I ended up using it for the most was what it was advertised for: fixing electric cords where the insulation has come away from the plug. For that it works pretty well.

In my experience, it isn't really good for modeling.

Kev
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Okay, so if that's out...

The next product with modeling possibilities is the Amopé Pedi Perfect Nail Care System:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013IEGI1Y

I'm quite tempted actually. As much fun as sanding and sanding by hand is. :wink:

-Rog
sparkart

Post by sparkart »

I've added Bondic to my adhesives box, and after getting to know better its capabilities and limitations, am very happy and satisfied with the product. It's not really a glue or adhesive as much as a plastic maker, meaning, if you have a gap, or geometry that an irregularly shaped plug can fit, Bondic will work well to fill that.

It clings to smooth surfaces, but not tenaciously, so it can be popped or scraped off very easily (from the FAQ). If you want it to use Bondic on a very smooth surface, you have to give it an anchor, like a small screw or rod onto which it can hold.

It fills gaps, and can be built up in layers. It sands and cuts like a tough plastic, because it is a tough plastic.

If you're trying to join pieces with close tolerances, this isn't the bonder to use. Ironically, new kits that are engineered well, probably won't benefit from Bondic, but those older garage kits, with the huge gaps, that were crudely parted for production, can benefit with Bondic's gap-filling properties (this would've been great to have in the late 80s and early 90s!)

I've used Bondic to fill chips and cracks in a granite countertop, fix automotive cell-phone holders, and cracked TV remote battery covers. Anywhere a blob of plastic can provide a fix (and a light can shine), this stuff works.
Oroka

Post by Oroka »

I use Bondic to fill larger holes rather than putty. UV has to get at it to cure it, so you cant use it as an adhesive. It is very useful in specific situations, and I have found a few good uses for it in day to day life. I rebuilt a friends glasses while he waited for new ones. The Bondic was alot less noticeable than tape!
LrdSatyr8

Post by LrdSatyr8 »

Rogviler wrote:Okay, so if that's out...

The next product with modeling possibilities is the Amopé Pedi Perfect Nail Care System:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013IEGI1Y

I'm quite tempted actually. As much fun as sanding and sanding by hand is. :wink:

-Rog
I actually bought one of these the other day and LOVE IT! It comes with 3 different sanding heads (Course, Fine, Buff) but I'm sure that gluing some sandpaper on these tips would work well. It has quite a bit of travel for such a small tool. It feels a little bigger then an old Marks-alot marker in your hand but its definitely worth adding to your toolkit!
When I die I'm leaving my body to science fiction!
LrdSatyr8

Re: UV Glue?

Post by LrdSatyr8 »

Tchail wrote:Has anyone heard about UV glue?

It's glue that remains liquid until exposed to UV light.

I first heard about this on an infomercial last night, but in thinking about it, this stuff has been around for years at the dentist's office:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE2B1ET-p1Q

It seems to be optically clear, so it sounds like it might be great for creating windows...

:D
I've tried this and I agree with the above... it's good for filling, but unless you can get the light to it, it's useless as a glue. Doesn't hold well on smooth surfaces either and I've tried it on various materials so far... Plastic, Wood, Metal and Resin. The biggest problem is getting the UV light to it to harden it. Your best bet is Crazyglue with Zipkicker for bonding.
When I die I'm leaving my body to science fiction!