Disaster recovery; advice on casting tiny parts.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

duck

Disaster recovery; advice on casting tiny parts.

Post by duck »

The up side, bought a house and getting ready for the move.
The bad, my in progress BB-8 took a dive from head level and the his 'crown' is M.I.A.
'Crown', part D 18.
Good news is I found another kit on Amazon for like $23 shipped, so another is on the way.
I want to use the new kit to cast a replacement part. Being how small the part is and my limited experience casting stuff, I am seeking advice.
Supplies on hand; Smooth-On OOMMOO 30 silicon casting kit.
Alumilite Super light casting plastic; a little worried about this, my supplies are OLD. I've had this stuf for a long time and the part B is getting thick. Most luckily will have to toss it and order new stuff. Suggestions?
Also have Alumilite water clear, not sure if clear resin has any advantages or disadvantages for this project.
Legos, nice new box of the Classic 10702 set with 583 pieces to help build a mold.
Misc. supplies.

Thank you.
Burn your dead.
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

I'm not a pro in molding and casting either.
FWIW, since you have the stuff already, I would give it a shot. Worse to worse the stuff doesn't set up. You'll have to clean the parts off and go buy some fresh rubber and resin.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I have no idea what that part is based on the description and part number. Is it an antenna? Can you post a link to a photo? Or post a photo to the Starship Modeler Facebook page?
duck

Post by duck »

Burn your dead.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Are you still in the Springs? I'd suggest wandering over to the Yellow King and ask for Mark. He's the local master caster.
Abolish Alliteration
duck

Post by duck »

Yup, still down here. And the new house is close to that place too. I'll have to check it out.
Burn your dead.
duck

Post by duck »

Finally an update.

http://imgur.com/qKbULAI
http://imgur.com/ZMJKwev
http://imgur.com/bgeffl4

The first pic is the replacement kit part. I was able to pick up a second BB-8/ R2-D2 kit fairly cheap from Amazon wharehouse deals. Damaged box, good kit and saved some dough. The second pic is the cast part. My second try at 2npart molding and this one went well. Last pic is side by side comparison. Now to finish the little sucker. Maybe light it too.
Burn your dead.