Resin Kits -- Recommend a Good Primer?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

redapplesonly

Resin Kits -- Recommend a Good Primer?

Post by redapplesonly »

Hello Jedi Masters,

I have a question about resin kits and primers. I recently bought my first resin model kit, only to realize I know beans about painting resin. I’ve been reading up on this online, and there’s a lot of conflicting information out there. So I figured it couldn’t hurt to solicit some opinions from you folks.

Question The First: What primer would you recommend? Everyone agrees you need to start resin with a primer. Ideally, I’d like a good spray primer… mostly because I’m lazy.

Question The Second: Do I have to buy new paints? My current paints come in three categories:
*** For spray paints, I like Tamiya Color Spray Paint (Acrylic)
*** For bottled paints, I prefer Testor’ Enamel, the standard ¼ oz bottle sizes
*** I also use 17 ml Vallejo Acrylic paints if I have to fix and blend colors on the model.

I’m assuming once I get a good primer layer on my resin kit, I’m good to go with the paints I already have. Is that a bad assumption? Do I need to buy a whole new set of paints for resin painting?

Many, many thanks!
-RAO
Johnnycrash

Re: Resin Kits -- Recommend a Good Primer?

Post by Johnnycrash »

Answer The First: Just about ANY primer will work fine. It's more about preparing the resin surface for paint. Wash the resin parts in warm water and a mild soap (dish), as this will remove the silicone oils, along with any mold release used.. Then spray with your favourite primer. *I* personally prefer a sandable scratch filling automotive etching primer. It's cheap, available just about everywhere, and does a nice job of leveling out.

Answer The Second: No.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

That automotive etching primer...do you have a brand name that works for you?

TazMan2000
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

TazMan2000 wrote:That automotive etching primer...do you have a brand name that works for you?
It's just called "Primer" from Canadian Tire. It's oxide red. I think it might also come in grey (used to). But I find that the grey doesn't cover very well.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
thetraveler7819

Post by thetraveler7819 »

DupliColor Black is pretty good too, fills those tiny gaps nicely!
The Iron Patriot
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

I keep ALL DupliColor primer, fillers and sealers on hand. Been using them for 20 years. I really like the gray sealer best if a fill is not needed. Very thin but excellent coverage. I get them locally at Magic Mart but when they are out.....Amazon.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Will make note of this, recently got a resin & metal mini and the last time I painted resin was in the 1990s.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
thetraveler7819

Post by thetraveler7819 »

Yep, ditto on Amazon
The Iron Patriot
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Johnnycrash wrote:
TazMan2000 wrote:That automotive etching primer...do you have a brand name that works for you?
It's just called "Primer" from Canadian Tire. It's oxide red. I think it might also come in grey (used to). But I find that the grey doesn't cover very well.

Thank you.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Cleaning the parts thoroughly is half the job. And beyond that, any acrylic primer (automotive stuff is good, DupliColor great and the white Tamiya primer excellent, but expensive) will do. I do not recommend spray filler, though, it tends (from my experience) to react with resin and the remaining softeners. Rather apply two thin coats of primer and wet sand them.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
redapplesonly

Post by redapplesonly »

[quote="DaveVan"]I keep ALL DupliColor primer, fillers and sealers on hand. Been using them for 20 years. I really like the gray sealer best if a fill is not needed. Very thin but excellent coverage. I get them locally at Magic Mart but when they are out.....Amazon.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice; is this the primer you recommended?

http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-DAP16 ... lor+primer

I'm looking at a lot of primers and note most of them say they are designed for "wood, metal, fiberglass" - does this mean they are okay for resin kits too?

Thanks!
-RAO
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Johnnycrash wrote:Answer The First: Just about ANY primer will work fine. It's more about preparing the resin surface for paint. Wash the resin parts in warm water and a mild soap (dish), as this will remove the silicone oils, along with any mold release used.. Then spray with your favourite primer. *I* personally prefer a sandable scratch filling automotive etching primer. It's cheap, available just about everywhere, and does a nice job of leveling out.

Family Feud wrote:Good answer!...clap...clap...clap...Good answer!
Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
redapplesonly

Post by redapplesonly »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
Johnnycrash wrote:Answer The First: Just about ANY primer will work fine. It's more about preparing the resin surface for paint. Wash the resin parts in warm water and a mild soap (dish), as this will remove the silicone oils, along with any mold release used.. Then spray with your favourite primer. *I* personally prefer a sandable scratch filling automotive etching primer. It's cheap, available just about everywhere, and does a nice job of leveling out.

Family Feud wrote:Good answer!...clap...clap...clap...Good answer!
Kenny
Totally agree! Amen!
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I use this almost exclusively on resin. I thin it about 65% thinner to paint and blow it through my airbrush. 95% of all the kits I build are resin.

http://hobbywave.com/modeling_supplies/ ... rimer.html
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I pretty much use gray sandable acrylic auto primer on my builds. Sometimes, depending on whether I want "pre-shading" underneath, I use black.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Lonewolf wrote:I pretty much use gray sandable acrylic auto primer on my builds. Sometimes, depending on whether I want "pre-shading" underneath, I use black.
I have found that most rattle can primers except Mr.Color and Tamiya fill too much detail for most builds.

You really cannot beat the airbrush primers for an accurate scale finish.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Blappy wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:I pretty much use gray sandable acrylic auto primer on my builds. Sometimes, depending on whether I want "pre-shading" underneath, I use black.
I have found that most rattle can primers except Mr.Color and Tamiya fill too much detail for most builds.

You really cannot beat the airbrush primers for an accurate scale finish.
I'm liking the Vallejo Surface Primer myself. Doesn't gunk up the airbrush and leaves the details super crisp.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
iSteve

Post by iSteve »

Would Alclad primers be too hot for resin?
For 15 francs more, I can put a can of sardines on your chest.
jafo

Post by jafo »

valspar micromist grey primer goes one very fine and doesnt cover up detail. So far for me its been as good as Tamiya.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

redapplesonly wrote:
DaveVan wrote:I keep ALL DupliColor primer, fillers and sealers on hand. Been using them for 20 years. I really like the gray sealer best if a fill is not needed. Very thin but excellent coverage. I get them locally at Magic Mart but when they are out.....Amazon.
Thanks for the advice; is this the primer you recommended?

http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-DAP16 ... lor+primer

I'm looking at a lot of primers and note most of them say they are designed for "wood, metal, fiberglass" - does this mean they are okay for resin kits too?

Thanks!
-RAO
Sorry I did not see your Q.....
My favorite is #1699 Sealer.....but I use all of them. depends if I need filler or not.
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

Tamiya light gray
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

People uses primer for two reasons...

1) even the surface to find imperfections
2) anchor the paint

OK, I started modeling very long ago when you just painted (or not!) your models so I never used primers. Personally I think it's just an unnecessary product just to make people spend a bit more money.

But anyway, to even the surface to see and correct problems (seams, holes, etc) I just paint my models in a light grey with the regular paint I use. Now for the anchoring of the paint, you really won't need it if you use enamels or strong acrylics such as Tamiya. Cannot tell about lacquer because I never worked with it.
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

I forgot to mention that I don't build only plastic kits. I build and paint also resin figures from e2046 and I proceed exactly the same way. I didn't have any problem to the date.

:)
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

NCC1966 wrote:I forgot to mention that I don't build only plastic kits. I build and paint also resin figures from e2046 and I proceed exactly the same way. I didn't have any problem to the date.

The proofs in the puddin! Lets see some pictures of your builds.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

Blappy wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:I forgot to mention that I don't build only plastic kits. I build and paint also resin figures from e2046 and I proceed exactly the same way. I didn't have any problem to the date.

The proofs in the puddin! Lets see some pictures of your builds.
Here it is two of them. Will find pics of others and upload later...

http://i.imgur.com/BkFQ5cB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mG1DzF6.jpg

:D

-----------------------

Moderator edited to remove image(s)

Terms of Use/Forum Rules and onezero wrote: At this time, images in sig lines and inline images in posts are still not allowed. Instead, please just use a link to wherever the image resides on the web, so folks can go look if they want to.

NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

Found a few more... actually I thought that I had lost those pictures in one of my latest HD cleanup. And no, I don't have these figures anymore (sold or given away), except for the last one "Tutu" (the ballerina) that I made for my wife. She needs some restoration though. The figure, not my wife...

:D

http://i.imgur.com/xhNoTvs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GkubKPW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/437EPoW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/weYRAV1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ylUo7m2.jpg

-----------------------

Moderator edited to remove image(s)

Terms of Use/Forum Rules and onezero wrote: At this time, images in sig lines and inline images in posts are still not allowed. Instead, please just use a link to wherever the image resides on the web, so folks can go look if they want to.