Brand new to Resin Casting, need advice

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

thetraveler7819

Brand new to Resin Casting, need advice

Post by thetraveler7819 »

Good Afternoon All,

Recently, I've gotten pretty good at scratch building, and I want to create masters of my stuff to later cast in resin. I'm not doing this for retail, just for my own use and as gifts to my plethora of Trek Head buddies.

I've never once cast anything in resin, no clue where to begin. I understand the basics of creating a mold and the basics of the casting process, but I'm curious as to what stuff is the best to use. I've seen posts about the benefits of Alumilite, Smooth-On, etc. As I'm not going to pressure cast, I wanted to know which product for making a mold, and which resin would be best to capture detail, be sturdy, and essentially be good for a quality copy in resin.

Again, not looking to pressure case, basically just want a good quality product to make a durable, high detail mold and a good resin that has a decent pot life and is strong and durable.

thanks all, much appreciated!

Will
The Iron Patriot
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

I started off with Alumilite and still use it today. Its a great general purpose RTV rubber.

TazMan2000
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

TazMan2000 wrote:I started off with Alumilite and still use it today. Its a great general purpose RTV rubber.

TazMan2000
Agreed.....and if you have a Hobby Lobby near get it at 40% off!!!! Get the complete starter kit.
thetraveler7819

Thanks all, got a hobby lobby up the street, I'll go check it out. So this will harder up and be just as strong in quality as a store bought resin kit?
The Iron Patriot
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

The Allumilte regular casting resin only has a 90 second pot life before it starts to set. You can manipulate a little by putting part A in the refrigerator but not much. I would suggest Allumilite white, its also sold as Amazing casting resin in Hobby Lobby, the pot life is 3 minutes and picks up excellent detail with minimal air bubbles. Others will recommend other resins but I can't comment on but what I've used. You can check out the allumilite website for tutorials and such.
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

I would recommend looking at Smooth-On.
Their SC-300 is a stellar choice for the first timer.
They have small kits as well...$30-$40 plus shipping will get a decent amount of resin that will make quite a few small to med. sized pieces.
I would also recommend their Mold Max 30 or 40 as a silicone of choice.
Very forgiving of mix ratios. ( small kits are available as well )
thetraveler7819

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I'm going to start out with the Alumilite starter kit (I've got a Hobby Lobby by my house and I like 40% off, haha! Once that runs out I'll switch to the Smooth-on and see which I prefer most.

Again, thanks all! I'be been waiting to do this for a while but have been hesitant as I thought it was out of my skill set. Hopefully I do it justice!
The Iron Patriot
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

Just remember that starter set is the regular resin and what they call quick set rubber. I highly recommend their Amazing casting resin,( I called alumilite and its really their alumilite white in a unique package for hobby lobby). And if you are making a two part mold don't forget to use a mold release or you won't get the two halves apart.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I recommend you skip the Alumilite starter set and just get the Alumilite High Strength 3 silicone rubber and the white "Amazing" casting resin. The rubber is stocked in the same section as the tools and the starter set, but the white resin is in the section with the polymer clays and epoxy casting supplies a few aisles away. The rubber and the resin in the starter set are both simply junk, and you'll have more success using better-quality materials from the start. You'll need a gram scale to measure out the 10:1 rubber, but that's really the only special tool you'll need to get started.
thetraveler7819

Thanks guys. I saw a few reviews about the starter set that echoed the same thing that you were stating about the quality of the resin in the rubber. That's what I'm going to end up doing, getting the high-end stuff from the jump. I'll let you all know how it goes, but thanks once again for the wisdom!
The Iron Patriot
Begather

Post by Begather »

thetraveler7819 wrote:Thanks for all the advice folks.

I'm going to start out with the Alumilite starter kit (I've got a Hobby Lobby by my house and I like 40% off, haha! Once that runs out I'll switch to the Smooth-on and see which I prefer most.

Again, thanks all! I'be been waiting to do this for a while but have been hesitant as I thought it was out of my skill set. Hopefully I do it justice!
You got the best advice here.