Light blocking and gluing plastic window inserts question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

brt

Light blocking and gluing plastic window inserts question

Post by brt »

I guess it is a question of sequence here. I am starting the revell Klingon d-7 and there are a number of clear plastic parts for window etc. Do I paint light block first? If so, how do I glue windows in as far as paint glue/adhesion? If I glue windows first, then do I mask and then paint block?
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
TREKKRIFFIC

Re: Light blocking and gluing plastic window inserts questio

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

brt wrote:I guess it is a question of sequence here. I am starting the revell Klingon d-7 and there are a number of clear plastic parts for window etc. Do I paint light block first? If so, how do I glue windows in as far as paint glue/adhesion? If I glue windows first, then do I mask and then paint block?
Light block first. Then use 2-part 5 minute epoxy to glue the windows in. It won't craze the clear plastic window or soften the paint like styrene cement or CA will. Any excess can be wiped off using a rag or cotton swab with or without a little alcohol. The alternative would be Mikro Krystal Clear (a form of white glue) which is easier to clean up but lacks the adhesion strength of epoxy.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
brt

Post by brt »

Nice. Thanks. I have 2 part epoxy on hand.
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman