help! i want to use some PE on my scratch build

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

OdysseySlipways

help! i want to use some PE on my scratch build

Post by OdysseySlipways »

i am looking to use some bits from some of my defective frets but how? i know i'll be using superglue to attach them, but these parts are tiny. normally with the plastic bits, i'd just tap the end of my hobby knife into the bit and either hold it in place and use liquid cement or dab it into a spot of superglue and then hold in place for a sec.

i can't just tap thetip of the blade into the brass, one it doesn't like that too much, won't really hold to it well and i don't want to push any harder as i may deform the brass part

so what can i use to hold the brass bit so i can hit it in the glue and then hold it in place on the master.

i'm open to ideas......
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Odyssey Slipways on Facebook

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

OdysseySlipways

Post by OdysseySlipways »

interesting...

after i posted this, i was thinking of something that looked like a tooth pick with a tiny sucking cut on the end - not sure if thats a real thing
Chris,
Odyssey Slipways

Odyssey Slipways on Facebook

Now accepting Pay Pal, I'll be taking your money now ........... (waves hand in the air, using Jedi Mind trick)
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

The paragraphics things are real. There are actually small tools with little suction cups on them, but they are way larger than teh small parts we are talking abuot.

I use really fine tweezers to pick up individual rivets and boltheads in 1/35. Stuff smaller than .020" on a side. Tedious but doable.

For gluing stuff like that, thuogh, I am now a firm believer in Gator Glue, a modified PVA glue that allows me to use even my damp finger to pick up rivets and place them in the right-ish place, not stick my fingers to the kit and still be able to move the part around a bit before it dries. Not as good a cement as CA, but pretty darned good for these sorts of really small parts. It has number of benefits that CA doesn't have, like repositionability and easy clean-up before and after it dries.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Silhouette (the scrapbooking people) make a dandy tool called the "Pickmeup," which I have found to be ideal for positioning small parts of all kinds:

http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/t ... -04-IND-3T

And Micro-Mark's Pic-n-Stick has been around for years:

http://www.micromark.com/pic-n-stick,7467.html
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark