Ridiculously stupid question -- will glue stick to primer?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Ridiculously stupid question -- will glue stick to primer?

Post by sbaxter »

I see builds sometimes where it appears people have added parts to a kit they've already primed, and sometimes read accounts that seem to indicate some glues will adhere to primer, but I had always presumed it would not. I'm reasonably sure regular model cement wouldn't work, but what about CA and/or epoxy?

I don't mind sanding or scratching primer away from mating surfaces, but if I don't need to do so, sometimes it would make things easier ...

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Tommy8008

Post by Tommy8008 »

From my own personal experience, I've had no trouble glueing painted parts together, even with Humbrol poly cement.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Model glue or CA will soften paint causing the joint to fail. If you have a part that won't undergo much stress you can use 5-minute epoxy to glue it on without hurting the primer. Best to just scrape off the primer before gluing if possible.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

For small bits I'll glue straight to primer. Usually tho I'll sand or scrape the joint areas first to ensure a good bond.
Abolish Alliteration
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

In my early days of model building i would often glue primed parts together and i can tell you that the bond is weak doing it that way. I still see people doing it but i dont anymore.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I never do it these days. My experience tells me that if I do that I will end up with a terribly weak joint.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Like just about everything else in this hobby, the answer is "it depends".

If you are glueing on a small part or something that shouldn't need to be held well, then any number of glues will work to hold the part to a painted surface.

If you need to part to take some knocks or some loads, then make sure you have all the paint off the surface first and this includes Mr. Surfacer.

Fundamentally, the bond between paint and plastic/resin is much weaker than that of pretty much any of the adhesives (other than white glue). If you need strength, scrape it off. The stronger it needs to be, the more unpainted surface to surface contact there needs to be.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Okay, that was what I always thought and the way I always worked, but I had seen some people who appeared to have made it work. Sometimes it can be a little inconvenient to have to remove primer, but I guess I'll keep doing it. Thanks for the replies!

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters