Milliput question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

duck

Milliput question

Post by duck »

I have Milliput black, bought it around five years ago, and it was already old when I bought it, (a hind sight thing). Anyway, went to use it this weekend. The neutral colored stick has a crust on the outside. I trimmed the crust off, weighted equal portions and mixed well. First two were rather thick because I forgot about water for thinning. Third turned out great, but after that, I could not get the two to mix properly.

Any hints or help with this stuff?
Burn your dead.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I haven't used that stuff for years, but it sounds like the age has gotten to it.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

The last time I used Milliput was probably about 10 years ago. Two new-in-the-box (allegedly) batches in a row were as you describe. Even though I mixed the parts in equal measure, the putty never cured. Five days after application, I was able to scrape the putty off with a fingernail. It had the consistency of dried toothpaste.

I binned the remains of the putty, switched to Aves, and have never looked back.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Lonewolf wrote:The last time I used Milliput was probably about 10 years ago. Two new-in-the-box (allegedly) batches in a row were as you describe. Even though I mixed the parts in equal measure, the putty never cured. Five days after application, I was able to scrape the putty off with a fingernail. It had the consistency of dried toothpaste.

I binned the remains of the putty, switched to Aves, and have never looked back.
"Beware the Milliputians, for they shall tempt thee as a Jezebel with promises of honey and figs and sure sculpts. Verily, I say unto you, their bonds shall crumble like sand and ash and they shall forsake you in your moment of need, for they are not Aves."

~Instructions 4:13, The Book of Aves

[-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
duck

Post by duck »

I've heard good things about milliput, that's why I bought it. But with all the troubles this stuff has been, I will stick with Aves. Pretty sure the sample I bought back in '06 still has some left,
. The paste that came with it is still good. Did a better job than the milliput did.
Burn your dead.
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:The last time I used Milliput was probably about 10 years ago. Two new-in-the-box (allegedly) batches in a row were as you describe. Even though I mixed the parts in equal measure, the putty never cured. Five days after application, I was able to scrape the putty off with a fingernail. It had the consistency of dried toothpaste.

"Beware the Milliputians, for they shall tempt thee as a Jezebel with promises of honey and figs and sure sculpts. Verily, I say unto you, their bonds shall crumble like sand and ash and they shall forsake you in your moment of need, for they are not Aves."

[-o<

Kenny
AMEN! And pass the safety solvent! :P
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:

[-o<

Kenny
Well done, sirrah! I, the Keeper of the Great Sandy Paper Chronicles, have added this to The Scrolls! :8)
________
Joe Brown