Plastruct Weldene works on resin?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Plastruct Weldene works on resin?

Post by El Gato »

A good friend of mine gave me the VA Miniatures 2500 scale "Command Cruiser." I don't like the design, so I'm doing my own thing. I decided to turn it into a deep space science vessel, so I scratchbuilt a support strut out of styrene for a sensor pod that would fit where the third nacelle was supposed to go. For resin I use CA (of course) but I freely use Plastruct Weldene for styrene. I put the pieces on the engineering hull so that the styrene pieces would conform to to the resin section as Plastruct dries. Turns out, the styrene pieces appear to be welded to the resin. I didn't think they would do that. Does anyone know how strong is this bond?
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Pretty sure the glue melted the plastic enough to make it stick to the resin. Add a few drops of CA now and that should bond it all together. I'd not trust it alone.
El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Post by El Gato »

Thanks DaveVan. I really did not trust it, so I pulled on the pieces really hard and managed to separate them. I will use CA to join them when I'm ready. Best part is that the fit is now very snug
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"