Perfect Plastic Putty

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

geck

Post by geck »

Yes. It's meant to be spread out using a finger or water on a swab. If you do that...it becomes very easy to use and fills small cracks very well.

A trick to keep it from drying out is to keep the lid on your bench screw side up and place the tube back into the cap as soon as you've taken what you need. It does setup very quickly.
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

I use Tamiya gray for fine gaps but have had success with Perfect Plastic when filling large gaps if I follow a couple of steps I've picked up through trial and error.

example - I built the Revell Build and Play Star Destroyer and filled in the landing gear/display stands using this method:

1. Apply a "backing" when possible. I glued a piece of styrene between the landing flap and the flat piece it lays against when closed. This secured the landing flap "flush" with the hull. I then glued a few styrene "bars" in the gaps around the landing gear. (This helps prevent "sinkage").

2. I used clear scotch tape to mask off the gap (all the way around outer perimeter and all around inner perimeter of gap, leaving a mm or two unmasked. (Of each landing gear).

3. Completely filled in gaps, liberally enough to make sure and really "pack it" in fully.

4. Since Perfect Putty is water I took wet rag and cleaned any excess putty off. Since I masked it with scotch tape I just gave it a thorough wiping until all putty was gone except the gap filler.

5. As stated before in this thread, do NOT use the applicator (in my humble opinion) and always make sure cap is fastened tightly when not being used and store Perfect Putty in a ziplock bag or other airtight container.

I've only been modeling for about 6 months, so I am certainly a rookie compared to most of you guys, but just thought I'd share what has worked for me so far.

Like I said, the members here are far superior modelers compared to me so if anyone has recommendations to above method please feel free to share. I don't take it as criticism, but as advice.

Cheers,
Jim