Source for small quantities of CA

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Source for small quantities of CA

Post by DeltaVee »

Does anyone sell small quantities of CA glue in various thicknesses?
As of today, I'm done with large expensive hobby shop bottles of CA. I get them for one project. By the time I'm ready to use them for the next projects, they've cured entirely solid or - worse - they're still liquid and I used them but they never cure or take forever.
Yes, the big box stores have sets of 2-3 small tubes of mid-thick CA. But does someone make small tubes of super thin and gap-filling?
Thanks.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

At my local dollar store (real dollar store where everything's a dollar, not the fake ones who just have "Dollar" in their name), they sell packs of 3 small tubes, and you can get it in regular and gel.

-Rog
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

yep the dollar store or if you have a Haror Freight in your area.

Max Bryant
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

This is another case of you get what you pay for. The dollar store/walmart packs are cheap but set up hard as iron and brittle as glass with no time to to adjust the fit. The better stuff from a hobby oriented shop is a LOT better, but will be no good in a year at three times the price. Think through the job- do you REALLY need CA or will another glue do the job?
Wug

Post by Wug »

Home Depot and some other places sell Gorilla Glue CA in a handy two-tube pack. It's better quality than the cheap stuff. If the first tube solidifies before you finish with it, the second tube is ready.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Gorilla CA has a superior seal system than the crap Bob Smith sells. I usually use mine to the last drop. They also don't crud up like the BSI bottles. The other alternative is Mercury Adhesives who set high standards for their glue and bottles. I had a bottle of their thin that after 4 years finally finished off. In that time it went from water thin to a bit below medium as far as viscosity.
Abolish Alliteration
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

CA and Zipkicker. You need them both to save your sanity.
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Gundamhead wrote:CA and Zipkicker. You need them both to save your sanity.
Bingo. My wife gets me several of the Super Glue Gel brand three-packs at Christmas as stocking stuffers. Same stuff as from the big-box stores, but a buck a pack, in a sealed foil baggie. Never had a problem with it.

Then again, I never have it stick around long enough to go bad, because I'm mostly been working on resin and vinyl kits.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

What I do is buy the smaller size (1/2 oz.) super thin. I haven't been using it as fast as I could, but when it starts to turn thicker I use that for gel and eventually as the super thick.

So I've got three bottles, all marked "Thin", but at different viscosities. I just move them down the row and throw out the one that has petrified and get a new thin one.

Works for me!

Kev