Scribing clean curved panel lines

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Scribing clean curved panel lines

Post by sbaxter »

Well, I've searched several different sets of terms and haven't found anything promising on this (more general terms yielded lots of results, but the threads were certainly not specific to the subject and I don't have time to wade through 35 threads for what is likely a passing mention).

So, what's the best method for scribing panels lines where clean, regular curves are critical? I have in mind the 1/420th AMT Defiant kit — the panel lines often terminate in curves, and there are some larger radius curves as well. To my mind, scribing them cleanly and accurately is key to properly finishing the kit.

I've seen various metal scribing guides intended for use with 1/48 and 1/72-scale fighter models; has anyone used these? Are there other, similar items that might work? As I pondered (weak and weary), I thought it might work to draw the curves carefully on blue tape using the existing raised lines. Then I could maybe use the tape to try to carefully cut the curves out of sheet styrene, smooth them with sandpaper, and use that as a scribing guide.

Any other bright ideas?

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

I wrote a scribing article back in 2008... at the end I am using tape for 'curved' lines:

http://www.scihighmodels.com/howto_scrib.html
Alex
scihighmodels.com
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Make a "rubbing" of the existing panel lines. Place a sheet of tracing paper over the area you wish to duplicate and rub the area with a soft pencil held sidewise or a piece of pastel chalk. Refine the line with a French curve if necessary, then stick the paper to a sheet of 0.020 in. styrene plastic. Cut the plastic following the curved line. Refine with file and sandpaper if necessary, then use your new template to scribe the line onto the kit plastic after sanding off the raised lines of the kit.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

SpaceRanger1 wrote:Make a "rubbing" of the existing panel lines. Place a sheet of tracing paper over the area you wish to duplicate and rub the area with a soft pencil held sidewise or a piece of pastel chalk. Refine the line with a French curve if necessary, then stick the paper to a sheet of 0.020 in. styrene plastic. Cut the plastic following the curved line. Refine with file and sandpaper if necessary, then use your new template to scribe the line onto the kit plastic after sanding off the raised lines of the kit.
Okay, that's a more refined version of the method I was contemplating. Good point about making sure the styrene isn't too thick, presumably so it can conform to the model's curves — and using tracing paper sounds like a better solution in this case, since the existing raised panel lines are rather thin and fine.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Nebdcbdepo
Spammer - Locked

Post by Nebdcbdepo »

Awesome guide! Thanks for sharing with us!