Considering buying a Dremel … but which?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Considering buying a Dremel … but which?

Post by sbaxter »

I have the rare opportunity to get something I would like to have as a Christmas gift but which my wife has also spoken of wanting — a Dremel. I would, of course, use it as a model-building tool, with general household use as well. My wife does various craft projects and makes jewelry, usually with stones and plastic beads and sometimes metal pieces, and would want one useful for those purposes (as well as around the house, of course). I'm thinking her hobby needs and mine are close enough that the same one would work for both of us.

So which should I choose? I know I want a variable speed model, so the choice is then between corded or cordless. Home Depot and Lowes both have this one http://low.es/1IMpp6L — that appears to be the best (only?) choice that is cordless and has variable speed. Should I go with that, or one of the several corded versions with variable speed? Price is a factor; I could spend the $79 for the one I posted above, but if I could spend less and get a more useful tool, that would be great. How much of a liability is the cord, anyway?

All the variable speed versions seem to start around 5K rpm. Is that usable for styrene, or is it still too fast? Years ago, I had a little power screwdriver and I used an aftermarket chuck that would accept at least some Dremel tools; it turned much more slowly and could be used with styrene. If the Dremel is too fast, I could get something like that again, to supplement the Dremel.

Suggestions?

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I prefer the cordless 8220 12v. Have the torque for low speed work but can chew the hell out of things if need be. Save yourself some hassle and buy a second battery.

But if your hands are much smaller than mine you may want to step down a bit and go for the MiniMite or Micro. Much smaller & lighter but with reduced torque and battery life.

Hit the hardware store and handle them, find out what feel good in your hand.

Then there's a corded model with a flex-shaft. Ran one for years but got tired of dealing with the flex-shaft. Massive amounts of torque but also a much higher minimum speed. Again, go get a feel for them.
Abolish Alliteration
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I have a variable speed cordless and find it a lot more useful than the single speed with a cord. Mostly because you can slow it down to actually work on plastic and wood. One accessory I really like is the drill chuck. Any size drill bit can be held, not just ones that fit the collets.
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Kylwell wrote:I prefer the cordless 8220 12v. Have the torque for low speed work but can chew the hell out of things if need be. Save yourself some hassle and buy a second battery.
On my way into work I stopped at Lowe's and hemmed and hawed a couple of minutes over the Micro versus the 8220. My hands are fairly large, and my wife's hands are smallish but she's not averse to expending effort, and she'd probably welcome the greater versatility of the more powerful model.

After the two minutes were up, I told myself it was silly to be overly concerned with the $20 price difference, and I got the 8220.

Thanks for the help!

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

:D You're welcome. Now it's time for bits & accessories!
Abolish Alliteration