Questions on using a miter box

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Questions on using a miter box

Post by sbaxter »

Hey guys ...

Sometimes I need to cut small materials on my small hobby-size miter boxes. Another project I have going requires me to make straight cuts in PVC pipe -- I do have a larger hardware-store-type miter box as well.

Anyone have any tricks on how to hold the materials in place in the box so the cuts are as clean and straight as possible -- especially the confounded PVC pipe?

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Clamps, clamps and more clamps. You can never have too many clamps. For the PVC, I use a hose clamp as a cutting guide for a guaranteed straight cut. For close enough cuts, the PVC cutters work well:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-R ... /202351847
If you don't have a decent bench I have become really fond of the Black and Decker Workmate- folds up to a small package and while not perfedt, one heck of a lot better than the kitchen table, bathroom sink or the top of a garbage can.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Clamps. And possibly shims. Depends on how accurate you need the cuts to be. I usually cut a touch long and sand to fit.
Abolish Alliteration