Source for sheet styrene -

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Reichardt, KoG

Source for sheet styrene -

Post by Reichardt, KoG »

I FI-nally used up the very last of an old Plastruct brand sheet set, and went to look for more -hmmm. I need to stock up again! So-

Local Art store Asel's has single sheets, and 'Buckley' on the phone, so I'll have to go into Sorry Tonio to see, myself what they really have...

Hobby Lobby has a few sheets of?? ABS? in .015, and .030 clear.

I KNOW ya can use 'for sale' signs, cheaply available, thanks, but don't want to use those BE-cause they are sometimes ABS, odd styrene, or??

I went to Squadron's website - they don't seem to sell any sheet plastic.

Does The Excellent SSM sell combo paks/different thicknesses of styrene sheet? I did search a couple of different ways, but kept coming up w/ decal sheets...

I REALLY just want to have another ...two or so of those Plastruct paks, but I guess the day of that cool display they used to have are gone....(all sorts of neat styrene rod/sheet/odd shapes on a rotating carousel) :(

Where do ya'll get your styrene sheet?

TIA!
"Melange' still races!"
X-3
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Local Hobby Shop carries Evergreen Styrene, but their stocking is a bit
sporadic. Both Evergreen and Plastitruct have websites, and I know the latter sells on-line, but I've heard their webstore is a right pain.

I have started using sign plastic, and haven't come across anything that
wouldn't respond to Tamiya thin ( which is similar to the old standard, Testor's liquid cement ).
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Plastruct direct online. Good folks to deal with.....been ordering from them for years. Lots of different thicknesses and sheet sizes.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Look in your local yellow pages of plastic supply businesses. You can get 4x8 sheets or larger in several thicknesses for a fraction of what Evergreen charges. Manufactures and suppliers use the term HIPS. High Impact Poly-Styrene.

TazMan2000
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by DaveVan »

TazMan2000 wrote:Look in your local yellow pages of plastic supply businesses. You can get 4x8 sheets or larger in several thicknesses for a fraction of what Evergreen charges. Manufactures and suppliers use the term HIPS. High Impact Poly-Styrene.

TazMan2000
That's what I did when I lived in Charlotte. In fact the dealer had a scrap bin where the extra sheet stock was 20 cents a pound!!! But the company went from a shop in almost every major city to like 3 in the US......now Charlotte has no walk in plastic supplier....or didn't when I moved away.......never have been able to find a local or even within 3 hour drive that was like the old distributor. Worth a check.....but like many things.......things have changed.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

When I lived in Memphis, Norrell Inc Plastics on Winhoma Drive was literally across the street from my apartment. Great prices, helpful staff, and I loved raiding their scrap bin at 20 cents/lb of plastic.

Google shows that they are still in the same location, but I'll bet their prices have increased...
________
Joe Brown
woozle

Post by woozle »

depending on what you actually need, walmart garage sale signs are fair quality and cheap. It's not as soft as evergreen sheet plastic though.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

TazMan2000 wrote:Look in your local yellow pages of plastic supply businesses. You can get 4x8 sheets or larger in several thicknesses for a fraction of what Evergreen charges. Manufactures and suppliers use the term HIPS. High Impact Poly-Styrene.

TazMan2000
Another good potential source is architecture stuff - there's a lot of generic stuff including sheets, profiles, ladders, basic furniture or figures in various scakes for architecture models - if you are lucky you find a local supplier, even though sales to "end consumers" might be difficult. But the stuff is much cheaper than the stuff sold to model kit builders.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Do a search for Evergreen sheet stock or find the local plastics dealer and order in a 4x8 foot sheet.
Abolish Alliteration
Reichardt, KoG

Post by Reichardt, KoG »

[bThank you very much, Guys![/b]

A local model buddy told me that Plastruct had a site, and I've ordered a catalog already from them.

I Did Not Know of the other sites; there is a local plastic supplier down in SA on E. Grayson, but they don't deal with thinner stuff. I have gotten scrap Plexiglass from them in the past, used for model bases.

Thanks again for the help; I don't cogitate so good on some of the med days, and I was kinda fixated on Plastruct. I just might give 'for sale' signs another try for larger projects, thanks.
"Melange' still races!"
X-3
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

See if they'll order it. A 4x8 foot sheet of .30 runs about $12. That's a butt-load of sheet stock compared to buying Evergreen or Plastruct.
Abolish Alliteration