Spart Parts Trees for open hardware racks?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Spart Parts Trees for open hardware racks?

Post by DeltaVee »

Anybody got any 1x2-inch parts trees laying around? There's a tubular framework around the equipment at the ends of the rotating modules on the Leonov from 2010. That's my best idea for replicating them. Anybody know of anything else like that with maybe 1/32 dia tubing? It's very open so mesh screen type products don't work.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Oh, now you've done it. :wink:
Take a look at these links below, especially the last showing the docked ships. There's a deck of boxes, etc. on the top of the centrifuge modules. Over them is an open grid/rack structure. That's not shown on the cover of the book you posted, which I have, too. IMO, the book provides images of the studio miniature in various states of assembly, disassembly or disrepair. That's about all I can imagine. Anyway, I'm just looking for a similar open grid structure. It just has to be approximate - which would match the rest of my model. Anyway, if you have ideas, I'm all ears.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oGLWz2SX9bI/U ... nal_03.png

http://nostromobuilders.ca/images/Alexe ... G_6483.jpg

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/573 ... FDFAF1B540
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Got it.

Well @ that size you've got a number of options. Evergreen makes styrene rod design to be bent & formed. Very low memory, great for making tubing. Then there's armature wire, usually used in sculpture but available in a variety of widths or lastly fine brass tubing or rod bent & soldered together.
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. I might go the evergreen route. No soddering for me. Is the evergreen meant to be formed with no heat, low heat or direct exposure to a flame?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes. It's just styrene formulated to stretch instead of breaking with little to no memory.
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

In terms of bending 90 degrees, can I do that with an oven eye or hot water? In terms of the bend retaining its shape, is rod better than tube?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

How tight of a radius? Tighter the radius of the turn the more stress is put on the rod.
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Well in a 2-inch box, it will have to turn relatively tight. Would bending around 1/16gh be doable?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Probably. You could just go with 20g wire.
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

That may be the solution. As I look closer, it looks less like a rack and more like piping going in and out of various boxes.
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

The answer to all those questions is "it depends" and the solution is to try a bunch of stuff and get experience doing it. Seriously. Be prepared to break a few in the attempt, to use a gentle heat source or a candle or wire or sprue.

All of those methods work, depending on exactly the circumstances at hand.
The future is in your hands. Build it!