Help with Torus shapes.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TIEbomber1967

Help with Torus shapes.

Post by TIEbomber1967 »

I'd like to get my hands on a couple different torus shapes for a couple of kits, but I have no idea how to get them. Is there a place that makes torus for sale? If not, can I make one, easily?
I could make a 3D torus very easily, but it would be pricey to print it on Shapeways. I've searched on Shapeways and there is currently nothing I could use (at any price).
If I heat and bend a styrene tube, how do I get a smooth fluid bend without parts of it sinking in or deforming?
I suppose I could get clay and a board and revolve half a torus, but I have no vacuform set-up to make the tube-half.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Am I S.O.L.? let a guy know. Thanks.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

It depends on the size you need. Glencoe and Lindberg space station kits are available, and for larger diameters you can piece some together with ABS plumbing fittings and electrical sweeps. I am always looking for this shape and very seldom find one.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Tube diameter?? Outer Torus Diameter??
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Depending on the size and thickness, it may not be so expensive to have one printed by Shapeways.
TIEbomber1967

Post by TIEbomber1967 »

The one size I'm looking for is 1/2" diameter tube and 5" outer diameter. I thought I'd use it to connect the radial arms of my K-7 station kitbash.
The other would be more of a flattened tube 1/4" high 1" wide and 5" outer diameter. Similar to the ring booster on the Finemolds Jedi starfighter, but larger.
Thanks for the all replies, I knew that you guys would have some ideas.
I do like the idea of the electrical runs, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'll also keep my eyes open for the Lindbergh Space Station too. Perhaps I'll do another K-7 kitbash with an outer ring instead of 3 radial arms.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There's using a screed and vacuum forming.
Abolish Alliteration
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Here ya go for your 5" torus as a 3D print:

http://shpws.me/wuAz

Price isn't that bad; just over $20 delivered. It's yours if you want it.