Quick JB Weld question — when to sand?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Quick JB Weld question — when to sand?

Post by sbaxter »

I used JB Weld on a styrene model about eight hours ago, both for its iron grip and, at the same time, as a filler for a few seams. I smoothed it with wax paper, so it isn't very thick. I've noticed before that if it gets a full 24 hours to cure, it can be similar to sanding CA — hard as a rock and difficult to sand.

What's the ideal amount of time to wait to sand JB Weld, without waiting too long?

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Couldn't tell you. It's far, far harder than Aves. I've usually used a grinding wheel to sand down JB Weld. Any time before it's fully cured tends to make the paper or grinding wheel fill up quickly.
Abolish Alliteration
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Okay; thanks for the reply. I seem to have a knack for asking tough to answer questions.

I waited another couple of hours, and decided to go ahead and wet-sand. Seemed to work well and stay where I wanted it to be and yet sand away fairly easily where I didn't.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters