Straightening Resin

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Ramsayman

Straightening Resin

Post by Ramsayman »

Quick question - I realize in order to straighten resin parts you're supposed to put it in hot water - but how hot? Tap hot or boiling hot? Never needed to straighten these parts before - I've been really lucky with my resin kits so far! But now I've got on that needs a bit of help.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

What piece is it and how much does it need to flex? Dimensions, thickness? You might be able to just warm it with a hair dryer to get it back into shape.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Ramsayman »

It was fairly thin and flat - I managed to use just Tap hot water and it straightened right out! Problem solved! For now. I'm guessing that if it's a thicker piece, then hotter water? I'm afraid to use a hair dryer on these things, as I've actually ruined a piece that way once before.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Hot tap water should be fine, but you may have to straighten it several times or use a jig to keep it straightened while cooling down.

Boiling water will make you burn your fingers the moment you touch the resin.
Salamander
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Ramsayman wrote:It was fairly thin and flat - I managed to use just Tap hot water and it straightened right out! Problem solved! For now. I'm guessing that if it's a thicker piece, then hotter water? I'm afraid to use a hair dryer on these things, as I've actually ruined a piece that way once before.
Hair dryer is safe as long as you do it the same way you do on your hair - keep it moving over the whole area, don't focus on one spot.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan