For Sale signs — do you sand or strip them?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

For Sale signs — do you sand or strip them?

Post by sbaxter »

I've used these in the past, and I usually sand the printed areas at least partially, always presuming that not doing so would be like trying to glue painted parts. I also try to buy signs with less printing overall. For those out there who use these signs, have you tried gluing without removing the printing? Or do you use something to strip the printing rather than sanding it away — and if so, what works best?

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

At my sign company we recycle printed signs and use them again for clients. I would strip them of the ink instead of sanding them down. Different inks take different solvents, but be sure if you use lacquer thinner to wash the sign with 409 or Windex afterwards or you can burn the surface.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I just lightly sand them. Most of the time the printing is a thin layer of vinyl lettering.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.