Cutting thick(isn) brass sheet

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Cutting thick(isn) brass sheet

Post by sbaxter »

One of my ridiculous projects is accurizing a 1/48th or so Delta-7 Jedi Starfighter (the one Obi-Wan used in AtoC) — it was originally part of some sort of handheld game with a handgrip attached to the bottom, which I sawed way and discarded probably 12 years ago. I've recently picked this thing up and started working on it again.

One of the things I need to do is replace the fin on the rear of the ship; the original has the right shape but was too thick. I've already used a razor saw to cut the original fin out, leaving a slot into which I can fit the replacement. I'm afraid a sheet styrene replacement of a more correct thickness would be too flimsy, so I'd like to use brass sheet. I have a brass sheet that is about .020" (I'm away from home and brought a box of stuff I can work on, but I have no way to get an exact measurement right now). So it is too thick to cut like paper as you might with the super-thin brass shims. What method can I use to cut this sheet that ill allow me to keep it flat?

Qapla'

SSB
Last edited by sbaxter on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Just like styrene, score and snap. Or score all the way through. A plexiglas cutter blade works well.
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Andrew Gorman wrote:Just like styrene, score and snap. Or score all the way through. A plexiglas cutter blade works well.
Where would I find such a thing as a plexiglas cutter blade, and how expensive are they?

Upon doing some test-fitting last night, I might wind up using styrene after all. However, I also have access to a well-equipped machine shop, so I might see if they would cut a metal sheet for me, as they can do it with precision. Even so, I'd still like to know about the plexiglas cutter option …

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Here's the one I use:
https://www.interstateplastics.com/Hyde ... oCJQPw_wcB
and one at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-1170-Pl ... B000BZZ1D0
A cheap and handy tool for cutting all kinds of sheet stock.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Jewelers saw. Very thin blade, highly directional. I'd recommend cutting slightly larger and filling to shape. http://www.widgetsupply.com/category/jeweler-saw.html
Abolish Alliteration