cutting out and trimming graphics/decals

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

qwavemi525

cutting out and trimming graphics/decals

Post by qwavemi525 »

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked previously. I did search the site first but I can never find anything in my house or online :D

I really suck at cutting out, trimming, making straight borders for any of my graphics/decals. I use a T square, cutting mat and sharp hobby blade - but the results are always the same = looks like a two year old did the job. My eyesight bites - even though I use special eyewear - and my brain appears to have no idea where my hands are or what they are doing.

Is there a tool or device - maybe similar to a paper cutting board - for people like me?
Anybody out there straight cut impaired? Help?[/b]
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Good sharp scissors have always worked for me. Sometimes a brand new X-Acto knife.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

I bought one of these at a craft store....about $10.
can't cut straight with this....give up!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7 ... L1500_.jpg
Also bought a pair of mini scissors with a angled cutting shears.....
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Andrew Gorman wrote:Good sharp scissors have always worked for me. Sometimes a brand new X-Acto knife.
Seconded. I use the super sharp scissors made for trimming nose and ear hair. Also, I cut on a big old piece of tempered glass that covers my bench

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
qwavemi525

THANKS

Post by qwavemi525 »

thanks for the suggestions. I bought new blades and scissors and made a cutting board. I have noted improvement in my cutting when i use clamps to secure the the decals and straight edge. I was about to give up. now there is hope!