Another "best glue" question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

E-Dub

Another "best glue" question

Post by E-Dub »

I'm doing a scratchbuild with solar panels and I ran across some mylar wrapping "paper", metallic blue on one side, at the dollar store and I say to myself, "Hey, this would make great solar panel. Now most of the panels are flat so no problem there, but a couple are corrugated. Now, what glue should I use to attach mylar to styrene given that I'm going to have to work it into the corrugations and have it hold in place. CA is probably out, but would clear parts glue work? It should be something that dries clear and goes down without any surface bumpys.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

My guess would be a metal foil adhesive, I think Microscale made or makes some but I'm not sure if it's still made.

In the past I made my own bare metal foil using cheap aluminum foil and 3M spray adhesive cut with paint thinner, got the idea form an old issue of FSM.

In short - lay the foil glue side up and pour a small amount of paint thinner on it, I think when I made mine I used about a tablespoon for a 12" square sheet (you can always add more later), now spray some of the adhesive into the thinner, I think you'll want about half the volume of adhesive to thinner. Mix the 2 using something that won't scratch the foil, you're shooting of the consistency of warm pancake syrup, adjust the mix as needed.

Quickly spread a thin layer of this mix over the foil, avoiding lumps, drips, etc., anything on the back of the foil will show up.

Let the mix tack up, about Scotch Tape stickiness is what you're after.

Cut and apply like bare metal foil, balsa sticks cut to shape work well to push foil into recessed details, I didn't have any problems with it sticking to raised panel lines.

The foil will continue to dry once you've made the mix, I think I got most of an afternoon working in the basement out of a sheet but that may vary.

Ken
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Super77... maybe not to styrene.
How about Scotch "transfer tape".
I found it in 2" wide rolls at one time.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=