Paint Thinner Alternative

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TD1701

Paint Thinner Alternative

Post by TD1701 »

I am looking for an alternative to regular paint thinner for painting with my airbrush. I have a couple of projects nearing the painting stage, and I am looking for something that I can use that won't give off so much of an odor. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Are you using Enamels? There is a product called-- wait for it-- "odorless mineral spirits" that indeed does not smell as bad as normal paint thinner. If you are using lacquer paints, then you are out of luck-- those paints and thinners are just smelly and there's no getting around it.
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks, this helps a lot! I'm going to be using enamels so this is the answer I'm looking for. I really appreciate your reply, and I'll check it out asap!

Thanks again!

Tom
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

But the real answer is to just make the switch to acrylics.
Abolish Alliteration
eeun

Post by eeun »

Better yet, if at all possible set up a proper spray booth ventilated to outside. The odorless thinners are great, but keep in mind you're breathing in the same chemical soup.
World's Tallest Jawa!
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

I've read somewhere Acrylics can be thinned with alcohol, is this true?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Depends on the acrylic.

Tamiya & Gunze, yes. Vallejo, no. Testors MM acryl, probably (I don;t use a lot of Testors MM acryl).
Abolish Alliteration
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

If I use Testors, what would work best for airbrushing?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Testor's or Tamiya's acrylic thinner. Yes it's mostly alcohol but much like lacquer thinner it's the rest of the mix that makes it work so nicely.
Abolish Alliteration
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks a lot for your help! These suggestions are great, and I'll let you know how they work out.

Tom
jake88

Post by jake88 »

Kylwell wrote:But the real answer is to just make the switch to acrylics.
I agree! :goodpost:
Del

Post by Del »

For Tamiya I always use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (I read One-Zero recommend that somewhere) and I found that Createx cuts well with white vinegar. Do not use alcohol with Createx or you will get cottage cheese.

I also use white vinegar as my decal set, so it has more uses than pickling stuff or on a salad.
Delbert Wells
~~~~~~~~~
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
david bailey

Posting a reply

Post by david bailey »

All paints and thinners have a smell,some are worst than others.Your best bet is to build or buy a paint booth for overspray and fumes.If you have a good place to paint,good ventalation is key.Also in vest in a good paint mask from the hardware store or automotive store to not breathe in the fumes. I have several,they cost alot but well worth it in the end.Some people are prone to being allegric to paint fumes,glue and paints, and thinners.S the best bet is to take precautions to avoid getting sick.Also invest in some paper masks for doing other things,also invest in a good mask for sanding and glueing.Make sure you have a good work area with good ventaltion , basically a fan to circulate the air .
david bailey
Max Nex

Post by Max Nex »

TD1701 wrote:I've read somewhere Acrylics can be thinned with alcohol, is this true?
in my limited experience with alcohol I found that it actually cused the paint to dry too quickly--even inside the airbrush before it got to the model.

highly recommend the use of Acrylic Retarder if you are using alcohol.

Tamiya paints can be thinned with Polly-S thinner or Testors Acryl thinner--and they don't smell half as bad.