Vallejo Plastic Putty

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Go Flight

Vallejo Plastic Putty

Post by Go Flight »

Hi all,

Has anyone had a chance to play with or uses Vallejo's Plastic Putty? I simply love the paints and I thought I would try the putty on my latest 1/72 build (yes I'm actually building something). I put it on/in the gap in the wing root and waited for it to dry. When I went to wet sand the extra away it seemed to me to reactivate, but not back to soft. In my case it started crumbling as I sanded. It seemed to smooth out a little as I ran a wet paintbrush over it, but not that smooth.
Am I using it wrong? I looked on YouTube for a how to or demo on the stuff but I didn't find any. LMK if you can help out. TIA
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

If it's water soluble, you can't wet sand it. The same is true of Perfect Plastic Putty.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

Thanks guys for the advice and leads. I also found a vid from International scale Models on You Tube. In it the guy compared a number of puttys including VPP. The only difference between that review and the one Kylwell pointed out is that MM's review says it doesn't shrink and the guy from ISM says it shrinks a lot. At least I have my answer about how to smooth it. Gotta be done before it dries...
Wug

Post by Wug »

Is that like an acrylic modeling paste or a gel medium?

http://www.liquitex.com/modelingpaste/

I know a couple of people who say they like it but I've never seen them use it.

Mike
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

Wug wrote:Is that like an acrylic modeling paste or a gel medium?

http://www.liquitex.com/modelingpaste/

I know a couple of people who say they like it but I've never seen them use it.

Mike
It very well might be close. In that video I mentioned earlier, the reviewer said it had porcelain dust in it. The VPP comes in a tube or squeeze bottle similar to their paints. One of the few vids I saw demo-ing it had the guy squeezed some out on a pallet and with a wet brush mixed it so make it softer and then "painted" it into the gap. So the Liquitex paste might work the same way.

Edit: Looking closer at the item, it says it dries hard and can be sanded. You can't sane the Vallejo putty.
It might be worth a shot for someone to try some and let us know. :D