luminescent craft thread?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

luminescent craft thread?

Post by DeltaVee »

I made that up. Has anyone seen/do you know of anyone who makes thread, preferably the diameter of 'invisible thread' with the color/sheen of the shiny mylar craft/gift ribbon? Or the brilliant metallic colored glitter in craft stores. Only I need it as a fine thread. Thanks.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I would try two places:

1.) Nylon finhing monofilament - some of the lighter test ones are thin and look like kind of gray or blue.

2.) The jewelry/craft store or section of Wallyworld. There are a BUNCH of different shades of really thin wire in various metallic colors available for jewelery crafters. There is also that really thin picture wire.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

googling mylar thread found these.
http://www.goravengo.com/patches/mylar- ... uote]Mylar Thread Chart
Please note that due to color differences from one monitor to the next, there could be slight variations between the colors shown on screen and the thread itself.
Please also check in with us to confirm availability of the thread color that you would like to use. [/quote]
_____

http://www.abc-machine-embroidery-desig ... reads.html
Metallic thread & glittery mylar thread is considered to be the most whimsical, but it's a popular choice for adding sparkling accents to embroidery designs. They are available in a wide range of colors as well as holographic hues, which pick up light and color from surrounding objects and add spectacular luminous accents to machine embroidery. Some might perform better than others on your machine, so don't be afraid to experiment to find the ones that are the most trouble-free for you. You will find they’re well worth using. Sometimes they tend to break with high-speed sewing, so you may need to adjust the thread tension and use specialty needles for these types of thread.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks guys. The wire's a great idea and there's a store close by. The mylar thread also looks promising, but it can't look ... fibrous. I kind of recall seeing the wire, but it has to be pretty small for my application. But great ideas. I gives me some directions to go.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mylar thread is typically woven/spun out of Mylar filaments so it is indeed 'fibrous'.

If what you are looking for is bright reflective silver thread... then why not use wire?
Abolish Alliteration
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Yep, wire would be perfect and I think I've seen it before and didn't really think of the possibilities. But, specifically, I need it for a very small Vulcan ringship, so it really has to be about the thickness of invisible thread. I think that will be hard to find. As I sit here and think, it might be easier to either spray paint invisible thread, though I know from experience it's hard for paint to stick. Or stretch sprue and paint that. I'd rather have wire.
southwestforests

This a possibility?
http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product ... O=BDC70312
Micro Cable .012 Dia Fine 30ft Spool
Item # BDC70312
MICRO CABLE - 30 ft. spools
Hundreds of applications!
Nylon coated stainless steel wire.
.012" dia., fine
Or this?
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/514-N210410
Ngineering
Straightened Stainless Steel Wire
.004 x 9" 10-Pack
Walthers Part # 514-N210410, p. 904 Walthers 2014 HO Scale Reference
A scale, $5.75, currently in stock at Walthers
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. Yep, that looks usable, other than concern about how well paint might stick. I went by Wally World. They have some nice colored craft wire that's way too thick. They also have what's called 'beading wire' in .014 diameter that's perfect but the choices are silver or gold. Probably to be as shiny as mylar, it probably has to be factory coated. But I know what I'm looking for now anyway.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

OK, I've got 33 feet of blue 28 gauge wire coming my way. That should be enough for an invasion fleet. If I did the math right, that's 0.012 At the store, 0.014 Inch looked usable, so I think I'm good. Thought for a while that I was going to buy a 10-roll assortment. so we'll see how this works out. Thanks for the input. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If not I can source you 42g wire....

Yeah, tiny fine.
Abolish Alliteration
southwestforests

DeltaVee wrote:Thanks. Yep, that looks usable, other than concern about how well paint might stick.
clean the wire well and paint will adhere okay - us model railriaders have been using this for many years in making handrails, grab irons, and modeling electrical conduits and air piping.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:If not I can source you 42g wire....

Yeah, tiny fine.
Making details for 1/2500 figures again? :D

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.