Halloween mask plastic, what kind is it?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DOMENECH1776

Halloween mask plastic, what kind is it?

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

Does anyone know what kind of plastic is used for the cheap Halloween masks? I have a conquistador helmet that I want to modify, but I don't want to destroy it using the wrong adhesive.

I will in the future a mold of it, but I want to use it for a costume party that is coming up soon.
Imagine Greater. I did and I keep coming up with Sci-Fi.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

If it's that really thin dime store stuff you're talking about then it's usually styrene. If you have a scrap of it you can test using some liquid cement or even lacquer thinner.

If it's thicker and flexible then it's probably polyethylene, which would take something like Tech-Bond to glue.

-Rog
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Agreed. Dime-store style masks (with the rubber band holding it to your head) are usually made of vacuform styrene. I have a Boba Fett costume at home that has a plastic helmet that I'm pretty sure is slightly thicker styrene, but the halves are held together with Velcro.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
DOMENECH1776

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

I'm going to assume its styrene and test it as such. It's a hat, but it feels like the same cheap plastic masks that had a rubber band to stay in place. It's white on the inside, with cheap silver paint on the outside. No markings.
Imagine Greater. I did and I keep coming up with Sci-Fi.