Gorilla Glue Experiences?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Griffworks

Post by Griffworks »

BTW, a couple more things I've learned:

* 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol does indeed allow you to clean this up pretty easily. Leaves no residue on the area, provided you wipe it all off w/the Isopropyl. (as someone suggested)

* This stuff is rather slippery for about 15 minutes after you put it down before it starts to set. I went to move some stuff about 15 minutes or so after I'd glued the parts together and figured, so long as I was careful, that I could move it. I wasn't careful enough!
CAVEAT EMPTOR! BUYER BEWARE!

It’s advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you don’t know! Especially those who already have a reputation! Ask me about my experiences with sithlordyoda / Colonial Fleet Shipyards!

My Albums on Flickr
Griffworks

Post by Griffworks »

Was out running errands at WallyWorld and had wanted to get some CA while I was out, 'cause holding one of those arms for the flight pods on my Atlantia build last night for about thirty minutes was a PITA. So, thought I'd check to see if they had the Gorilla Glue Super Glue and sho' 'nuff, they did!

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx27 ... 7e1794.jpg

This is some more great stuff. It takes a little longer than normal CA to set - roughly 60 to 90 seconds - but once it's set, it's DaBomb Diggity!

It goes on a bit thicker than the regular "liquid" CA's I've used. Not nearly as thick as the CA Gel's, tho. Not nearly as strong of an odor as most CA's, either. Or at least not that I noticed.

I prodded at one of the exposed areas inside the model and it's not at all rock hard and brittle like most CA. It's hard like a glue should be, but also has just a bit of a give to it compared to CA. It's got a very tight, solid bond. Nice stuff and really likin' it so far!

It’s advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you don’t know! Especially those who already have a reputation! Ask me about my experiences with sithlordyoda / Colonial Fleet Shipyards!

My Albums on Flickr
kerick

Post by kerick »

I'm sold! :D
I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
Patrick Henry
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I made a little mistake on the X-Wing I am working on and had to remove some parts. Needless to say, I had a couple of seams pop and need filling. I never tried this with the Wave, but you can actually feather this stuff a pretty good amount for about 10 or 15 seconds. I have applying it with a small chisel blade, picking it up like oil paint off of my trusty CA glue palette (some plastic lid from eons ago).

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
scifijoe

Post by scifijoe »

Griffworks wrote:Phshaw! I don't play with my models in the bathtub! :roll:

It's just what I've heard. Y'know. From a friend.... :oops: :P
Kylwell wrote:
naoto wrote:On a totally unrelated direction (based on a misreading of subject title)... What would be the distinguishing properties of a glue that would be sold under the "Gojira/Godzilla glue" name? Initial thought would be that one of its distinguishing features is that it would be radioactive, and it would trounce 'Zilla glue (which apparently is made from tuna).
Well other than it would regularly destroy Tokyo I have no idea.
Oooh! How 'bout it would be irradiated and glow in the dark so easy to find if you drop it on the floor...? :D
Another detail, How big would the tubes be? The original 5 feet and the later maybe 10 foot.

No that would be just a little excessive. Glow in the dark. Hmmm.
godzilla, the first wmd (Weapon of Monster Destruction)
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Well, I picked up the Gorilla Glue CA last week and got around to trying it last night, and I gotta say I like it! I like the fact that it's a little thicker that the thin Bob Smith stuff but not too thick, and it responds to accelerator well, making the longer setting time a non-issue for me.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Griffworks

Post by Griffworks »

Can we get this thread moved to the "Construction" forum, please? That way it doesn't get auto-deleted and we lose the info from everybody?

My Albums on Flickr