What's the best tube plastic cement?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bobafett

What's the best tube plastic cement?

Post by bobafett »

I quit using testors a long time ago, after learning how to use liquid cement and using superglue. Ive heard its better quality now than it was 15-20 years ago so what brand is best? Still testors?
So Many Models... So Little Time...
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I don't recommend tube glues at all. If you are comfortable with using the liquid cement, why would you want to switch back?

In a pinch, I have used the Testors cement in the black bottle with the little metal tube applicator. But Tamiya Extra Thin is my favorite.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I like the tube glue in Heller "paint and glue included" kits, and the glue that comes with some Japanese kits. I'm all out of those and miss them. The mustard oil in Testors to discourage glue sniffing seems to make it work less well. Maybe Hobby Link japan could fix you up with some of the good stuff? I hadn't thought of that before... I do a lot of kitbashes and scratchbuilds (when I'm building any models at all), so like the goopy, gap filling and long working time qualities of tube glue. Plus, squeezing glue out of a tube brings me back to my mis-spent youth.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

photoguy wrote:I don't recommend tube glues at all.
Second that. Hard to control, and the stuff tends to be too "Stiff". Personally, I prefer a glue called "Supranol" from a German model railroad building supplier named Vollmer. Tried a lot of things, and this is the best I could find in 30+ years.
But I'd assume that it is just a generic glue from a major manufacturer, just in a customized application bottle - one with a hollow metal needle, which allows very exact dosation even in tight places.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

I have on my desk Ambroid Pro Weld, Zap AC, 5 minute epoxy, Elmer's white glue and old time Testor's red tube glue. I find that I need all of them at one time or another. I never understand the 'HATE' toward Testor's tube glue........ :cry:
SpaceRanger1

Tube glue alternative

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

If you need a thicker plastic cement, look for some Faller Super Expert cement:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/ ... 0490-2.jpg

It's a liquid, thicker than Tamiya/Testors, but not as thick as conventional tube glue.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

I haven't used Testors tube cement for years since they came out with this wonderful bottle/applicator:
http://www.testors.com/product/136635/3 ... ement_1_Oz.

If I need a thicker type of cement, that is what I use.
gsb5w

Glue

Post by gsb5w »

For styrene you can't go wrong with Tamiya extra thin, Ambroid pro weld or Tenax. Tamiya has a nice applicator brush included and is harder to spill the bottle which is what I tend to do with the taller bottles of Ambroid and Tenax.
CrazyDude

Post by CrazyDude »

I use Tamiya standard and extra-thin Limonene, smells good too.

Haven't used a tube glue in decadeso.
naoto

Post by naoto »

On some of the Chinese-manufactured kits (as for why I'd bother -- they were really cheap and looked useful as kitbash fodder), I'd picked up, I discarded the tube of cement (which by the time I got the kit they were essentially empty from leakage), and leave open the box open for a few weeks for the vapours to dissipate. Fortunately, the leaked glue didn't seem to damage the parts (which of course would've called in question the effectiveness of the said glue).
Naoto Kimura
木村直人