First model. AMT Enterprise D

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Bomburly

First model. AMT Enterprise D

Post by Bomburly »

First model need some help. Here is a list of things i need to know.

Type and recommended brand of glue

Primer, or base coat color. Is there a recommended brand of primer/base coat for the Enterprise D color?

If i wanted to drill out the window holes and add internal LEDS, how big of an undertaking would this be and would a dremel do the job accurately and well?

Where do most of you buy the paints, and which colors are needed for a standard enterpise D

how can i get a high-gloss finish on the Reds around the tail and under the saucer
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

First, welcome to SSM!!!
Second do you have the newest release of this model molded in clear plastic??? It would help us to answer your question about glues and paints or drilling out the windows with a Dremel.
And third I think this thread should be in the Star Trek model sub-forum instead of here in construction.
Normal?? What is normal??
Bomburly

Post by Bomburly »

Oh sorry, No no it is a very old model that i got from a friend. It was manufactured in 1988

model #6619

older than me
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I recommend Tamiya Extra Thin Cement for pretty much all of your basic construction.
If you purchased the new release of the kit (molded in clear) then you won't have to worry about drilling out the windows, just paint, and then scratch out the windows you want illuminated.
If you have one of the older kits, then I would recommend using a pin vise and hand drilling a series of holes in each window, then cleaning it out with a brand new X-Acto blade (in fact, have several extra blades handy) it is a long mind numbing process, but looks amazing when complete!
You are also going to need to dig up the nacelle struts to run wires up into the warp engines - also mind numbing, and a bit challenging. I would recommend getting a set of photo-etch trench covers from DLM, they will save you a ton of headache.

Of course, all that being said, if this is your FIRST model, I would NOT recommend trying to light it anyway. I would build and paint a few kits, just to get comfortable with the various building and painting techniques involved, and get yourself something nice to display on your shelves. Once you are confident in the basics, THEN take on the challenge of adding lights. It really is a whole other ball game, and can add both a new level of enjoyment to the hobby, as well as challenges and frustration if you are unfamiliar with it.

Above all else, KEEP IT FUN! This is a Hobby, and if you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
:wink:
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Paint - I use a lot of Tamiya and Createx Wicked/AutoAir, or Vallejo Model Air paints - all acrylics. Spend more time painting, and less time cleaning up, and I don't have to worry about the fumes from enamels or lacquers.
Are you using an air brush? Use the manufacturer's recommended thinners. Stay away from any concoction that you may find on the internet. Yes, it might cost more, but Windex is for stripping mistakes, NOT thinning paint!
Some people prime their models, others find that primers fill in surface detail, and don't like the finish it gives. I usually DO prime my models, especially if I have resin or photo-etch detail bits added - just to give a uniform surface for the paint to adhere to. Cheap Wal-Mart primer is fine.
Clear coat it in gloss when your happy with the paint work, apply your decals, and then give it a final coat of clear to seal everything up.

Hope this helps. And welcome aboard!
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK