Anyone ever glue Lighting gels to plastic?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

brt

Anyone ever glue Lighting gels to plastic?

Post by brt »

I'm thinking of using Lighting gels in a few builds and was wondering if anyone knew what kind of glue or adhesive would bond the lighting gel to the plastic without damaging the gel.

Thanks
swhite228

Post by swhite228 »

It depends on the type of gel.

Real gel material which can still be found if you look hard enough is akin to dried Jello and over time it fades. It also dries and becomes brittle in time.

Most "gel" are made with a polyester base or in some cases Mylar so you should be able to use regular model cement, or super glue.

Just try gluing a small piece to the sprue to make sure what you use will work.

Question... Did you buy the full sheet of material or are you using a swatch book for the filter your using?
brt

Post by brt »

I bought a set of full sheets,(assorted colors) if 10 x 13 counts as full. They do come bigger. I planned to cut them down to the needed size for portions of the model. As an example, I planned to use white LEDs but yellow gel for the E's reaction thrusters and red gels with white LEDs again for impulse engines etc.

Thanks.
swhite228

Post by swhite228 »

You got what I call pre-cuts.

If you got them from a theater supply store ask them for a swatch book for Rosco or Lee Filters ( both are made by Rosco), or for the brand you got.

The book gives you usually a 1 in. x 4 in. sample of every color made in that line as well as specialty gels that will cut down the amount of light without changing the color and samples of the silks to defuse the light.

While you can use them to get an idea for single sheet purchases the small size gels will cover a lot of windows if cut in thin strip

They are usually given free or sold for next to nothing.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Simon Merks just mentioned doing this on his current 350 build. He uses the gels to diffuse LED strip in the nacelles. So yes, you can glue them in on top of the grills on the inside of the engines.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000