Recasting vinyl parts?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Salamander

Recasting vinyl parts?

Post by Salamander »

Anyone know whether it is possible to recast vinyl parts in resin? If, so what should I keep in mind?

I won a mecha figure kit on an auction site that is a two-in-one kit: one set of legs, two different options for the torso (you guess right if you think I want to recast the legs).
Salamander
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Your only real concern is a potential cure problem with the rubber. Platinum rubber is almost certain not to cure against your vinyl unless you seal it with something. Future and Tamiya lacquer primer will seal it. Tin-catalyzed rubber may or may not have a problem. After it's sealed, the molding process is straightforward. If it's hollow, you will need to fill it with something to keep it from distorting or filling with rubber. Hope this helps :)
Wug

Post by Wug »

Whatever you do try testing the silicone on the pour stubs you cut off before using it on a part.

Mike
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Thanks. Is Tamiya lacquer primer just their normal gray or white primer, or some special primer?
Salamander
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Salamander wrote:Thanks. Is Tamiya lacquer primer just their normal gray or white primer, or some special primer?
Their normal Surface Primer or Fine Surface Primer. Whatever you do, don't spray it with any enamel hobby paint or you'll be stripping it.