advice on stripping gold toy paint

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ashrond

advice on stripping gold toy paint

Post by ashrond »

hi all,
I need advice oh what to use to strip off this gold paint, I let it sit in a bath of pure superclean for 4 days and it didn't bother it at all! ive seen paint dissolve to the point where it never existed in that time.

I have seen this paint used on a few other things recently, including the center of the deflector dish on the 2009 enterprise toy.
http://img.trekmovie.com/images/merchan ... efront.JPG
I also tried to strip the paint off of that unsuccessfully as well.
anyone have any ideas on what to use, as I don't just want to paint over it, and I don't like ruining plastic so I was hoping someone here had experience with this.

thanks!
Boldly being “that guy” since 2001.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I don't know where you are, but if you're in the UK you can get Modelstrip. It's a caustic paste. It's never failed me and it's never destroyed the plastic underneath.

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/product ... odelstrip/

But I don't think it can be exported.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Oven cleaner should get it off, even if it's plated. If not, can you just paint over it?
ashrond

Post by ashrond »

hey thanks for the reply's!
the oven cleaner worked... however it required 24hours of soaking, and even then I had to spend like 3 hours with a toothbrush to get it all off!
what the heck is this stuff made out of and why don't they paint cars or spacecraft with this stuff!

once again I really appreciate the advice guys!
Boldly being “that guy” since 2001.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I've noticed this with some of the prepainted models as well, my guess is that's it some kind of urethane or epoxy paint. I did one of those 1/4 scale engine models for someone last year and decided to strip the paint on the parts due to the poor quality.

The paint on the metal parts didn't respond at all to my usual stripper, full strength Super Clean, ended up soaking the parts in lacquer thinner and even then the paint came off in sheets instead of dissolving. Super Clean only dulled the paint on the plastic parts, never removed it.

Ken
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Lacquer thinner.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
LobsterOverlord

Post by LobsterOverlord »

Toy paint is literally a trade secret in China, which is why toys made in the USA don't have paint or do have paint but it doesn't hold up. Having tried to have toys made by the plant that does Hasbro/Mattel stuff (mid '00s mostly), they will not divulge their paint process. So as to say what it's made of is hard to say...

John M>