Guide for bases and poles?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

atomicrobokid

Guide for bases and poles?

Post by atomicrobokid »

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for a guide or tips and some of you will think this is an incredibly stupid question but here goes:

I have a TrekModeler pole which I am using to wire up my NX-01 1/350. Now when it comes to bases I'm planning on getting a piece of wood with a mirror on top. My question is around mounting a pole, any pole, to a base, how do I do it properly?

I know that sounds like a daft questions but in my head I'm going to have to drill a hole directly through the wood to put the wires through and the dremel out a gutter to a connector on the side. But how do I set the pole in place? The pole has no thread to not sure about a nut/washer, and glue just doesn't sound "permanent" enough? Any advice or guides with pics?

Also, the pole themselves are pretty simple things, they are hollow copper pipes and I have to get them shipped to the uk everytime I need one, so I'd like to create my own. Trekmodeler's is great as it has a nut to secure it from inside the ship, but if I had just a hollow pipe, with no thread or nuts like I'd pick up from a DIY store, and no fancy connectors, how would I secure this inside the base and the model?

Any tips/pics or words of advice is greatly appreciated!

Ryan
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Well, you might want to look in your local DIY for spare parts for home lighting. There are usually a sepection of hollow rods with threads on one or both ends so you can thread a thin section nut onto the hollow rod, place the model part down on that thin nut and then add another smaller diameter nut on the inside. The diameters of these aprts are standard, so you can use other mechanical nuts to do the same job and maybe modify the nuts with a dremel or grinder if you want to make changes.

Alternatively, you can find two tubes where one fits inside the other and the larger diameter tube is shorter than the smaller by, say 1/2". Thread the outside of the smaller one and run the wires up it. Fit the into the larger tube and use the end of the shorter tube to supprt the model. Put a nut on th einner tube to hold it all together.

For fixing these to a wooden base, make sure it's a hardwood and at least about 3/4" thick. Make it large enough that you aren't goint to easily tip over the model when supported and use a really good epoxy cement to hold it in place. If the area right where the tube goes into the base is thicker than 3/4" so much the better. The thicker the better, in fact, but if you are using a copper pipe no less than 3/8" diameter, a 3/4" thick base and a full bond line of epoxy will do the trick.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Dbl Post
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

When my daughter did her Refit in 1/1000 she rooted around my spare figure bases and found a wood Vase base I got off eBay that fit the kit base perfectly. So she painted the base semi gloss black and then glued it to the wood base.

Refit
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
atomicrobokid

Post by atomicrobokid »

Thanks guys, that helps a lot!

I never thought about a short pole with a slightly smaller diameter to slot it into before so it's removable. I may try that