Bondo spot glazing putty — can it be saved?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Bondo spot glazing putty — can it be saved?

Post by sbaxter »

I have a large tube of this red Bondo putty that has developed a hole in the tube and recently lost its cap. While I know the stuff isn't particularly expensive, I'd rather not just throw it out if possible. Does anyone know if it could be cut open and possibly transferred to another container of some sort, so that I could continue to use it?

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Del

Post by Del »

Without trying to sound like a complete jerk, I would say as long as it stays moist (not Jimi's kind of moist), it's good. If it dries out, it's bad.

I say squeeze it out and put it into some sort of air tight container and give it a shot. You don't have anything to lose. But I'm also a cheap bastard - I'm still using a tube of toothpaste my wife would have thrown out 2 weeks ago because she doesn't like to squeeze the heck out of the tube until it's completely empty.
Delbert Wells
~~~~~~~~~
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

You could try covering the the tip with aluminum foil I'd put duct tape over the hole. They types of substances need an anaerobic environment if you put it in a container just a little bit of air will cause it to get a thick skin... Then every time you expose it again you give it more fresh air to start drying out.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Okay. I do have foil over the top and I'll try to just wrap the tube with duct tape.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters