Fiber optics question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Vampiel

Fiber optics question

Post by Vampiel »

I would like to use an adhesive to shape side glow on what's basically a poster. I've run into a problem that currently I have to go through a very time consuming process of bonding on individual pieces of it, because I have to apply the adhesive to the poster, shape the side glow over the top of it, then clamp it down and wait for it to set.

To get around having to do this, I would like to know if there is glue that will make the bond very quickly. My understanding is that Cyanoacrylate isn't good to use on fiber optics (although this is side glow so I'm assuming the same applies to it).

I was thinking about trying Devcon 5-min epoxy, but I would like to reduce the time as much as possible.

I have no experience with bonding fiber optics so that's the next step I was going to test out but was hoping someone with more experience may be able to guide me in the right direction. I've also read in some places that Cyanoacrylate can be used on fiber?

http://www.idgsupply.com/item-detail/07 ... e_20g_tube

http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=25147

"Cyanoacrylates: High-strength, one-part cyanoacrylates are commonly used as processing aids in fiber optics assembly. They are instant adhesives, also known as “super glue.” Although their structural bonding properties are inadequate for most fiber optic assemblies (because they do not adhere well to glass and have poor high-temperature resistance), they excel at temporarily tacking down fiber, components and boards while the permanent adhesive is curing. They achieve fixture strength in just seconds and full strength within 24 hours. Cyanoacrylates are also used for locking screws, making setscrews tamperproof and bonding boots to ferrules. "

If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated. Here's a picture for reference of what I'm currently having to do with normal "fiber safe" epoxy.... (the clamps are holding a plastic piece over the fiber). This is also not something I would prefer doing since it could easily break the fiber.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3687_o.jpg

from the terms of use "As a courtesy to people who ares till connecting to these boards via dial up and other slowness, we ask that you do not put images in your posts. Instead, please just use a link to wherever the image resides on the web, so folks can go look if they want to.
"
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Hey Vamp, first you need to post a link to an image provider like Photobucket or Shutterfly. Bandwidth regulations and all. Posted images like this will be removed by moderators.
To answer your question use the 5 minute epoxy and clamps. Start at one section, let it harden, move on to the next. A bit tedious and time consuming but far faster then white glue and waiting over night to move on to the next section. Plus if your bending the side glow cable there's no way white glue will hold it in place too long. I'm thinking that would pop real fast especially if your gluing to poster board.
Hope this helps.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Vampiel

Post by Vampiel »

Hi thanks for the advice.

Turns out the 5-minute epoxy didn't work to well. Liquid nails seemed to be the only adhesive that worked ok but it still left a noticeable residue on the poster. If I practiced a lot it may be possible to reduce this but I ended up drilling very small holes and using fishing line to secure it down instead. Since the sideglow is easy to shape it just needed 1 spot to be held down after it was shaped. I had to tape the back of the fishing line after tying it to make it taut temporarily.

I'm going to screw in another acrylic sheet over the top of it once it's done to protect the side glow and secure it down permanently.

Now I just have to figure out how to wire all these LED's to a single PC power supply. :8)