Sanding/Filling - what am I doing wrong

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Valiant

Sanding/Filling - what am I doing wrong

Post by Valiant »

Oh wise experts... where do I fail?

Steps:

1. lightblock interior
2. glue peices together
3. Prime
4. Notice gaps
5. fill gaps
6. Sand filler/glue seams using fine grit, then 3000 grit.
7. Paint
8. Notice scratches/uneven surfaces
9. attempt sanding/filling again again
10. fail again.

Any help guys? I'm really needing some techniques or something...
== Someone needs to tell my wife that starship model building is a good thing... ==
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Always use a sanding block. If you just use your fingers, you get "waves" in the surface, or valleys.

Always wet sand. Keeps the paper cleaner; clogged paper causes grooves and scratches. The wet surface also makes it easier to spot irregularities, especially waves.

Probably not necessary to go all the way to 3000 grit. I rough sand with 220, then 400, then (maybe) 600 before priming.

Count on sanding away most of your first couple coats of primer; it usually takes me a couple coats before the fine scratches are filled.

View your surfaces under a slanted light, shining across the surface; that throws all the irregularities into relief (casts shadows) and they're easier to spot.

Let your glue dry thoroughly before starting the puttying. Old-fashioned tube glue, especially, tends to shrink for a long time after it's supposedly "dry".

Some putties shrink a lot. Squadron Green and Testors are especially notorious shrinkers. Squadron White doesn't shrink as much. Best of all are the two-part putties: Milliput, Aves, Evercoat auto glazing putty.

You might conceivably be having a reaction between your putty and your primer. Tamiya primer, especially, is very "hot", and there have been times when I've suspected it was eating away at lacquer-based putty (Squadron white stuff). I try to do all my bodywork in two-part putties (Milliput or Aves, or Evercoat two-part auto body glazing putty), which are more inert when cured.

Also, I should mention that most of my projects go through four or five putty-sand-repeat cycles before I'm satisfied. So don't feel bad; everyone has trouble with (and hates) filling and sanding. ;)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It sounds like you're not letting the grits fully take down the previous grits valleys/scratches. One of the many reason I also polish with a polishing stick to let those scratches show. Once you've primed it there's no need to start with the coarsest grit, start a few grits down from that as the primer has already filled the worse of it.
Abolish Alliteration
Valiant

Post by Valiant »

where could I find a small sanding block?
== Someone needs to tell my wife that starship model building is a good thing... ==
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I usually make them. Piece of wood the size needed, some gel CA and sandpaper.
Abolish Alliteration
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Rocketeer wrote:Always use a sanding block. If you just use your fingers, you get "waves" in the surface, or valleys.

Always wet sand. Keeps the paper cleaner; clogged paper causes grooves and scratches. The wet surface also makes it easier to spot irregularities, especially waves.

Probably not necessary to go all the way to 3000 grit. I rough sand with 220, then 400, then (maybe) 600 before priming.

Count on sanding away most of your first couple coats of primer; it usually takes me a couple coats before the fine scratches are filled.

View your surfaces under a slanted light, shining across the surface; that throws all the irregularities into relief (casts shadows) and they're easier to spot.

Some putties shrink a lot. Squadron Green and Testors are especially notorious shrinkers. Squadron White doesn't shrink as much. Best of all are the two-part putties: Milliput, Aves, Evercoat auto glazing putty.

Also, I should mention that most of my projects go through four or five putty-sand-repeat cycles before I'm satisfied. So don't feel bad; everyone has trouble with (and hates) filling and sanding. ;)

Most excellent advice. Important to remember that modeling, in any genre, is not a race. Take your time, learn patience, and your efforts will be well rewarded. You'll find you'll get better with each new build moving forward. So sand on cowboy.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I rarely use a sanding block and wet sand even less.

But what i work on are smaller surfaces, not massive long nacelle seams.
Abolish Alliteration
Valiant

Post by Valiant »

I found this article online... and I know little about grits and all (learning) but... shouldn't this be starting with 150 and working up to a 600??? or have a I missed something?

http://www.modelaces.com/_scale_model_t ... _seams.php
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Valiant wrote:I found this article online... and I know little about grits and all (learning) but... shouldn't this be starting with 150 and working up to a 600??? or have a I missed something?

http://www.modelaces.com/_scale_model_t ... _seams.php
He is, I'm guessing just to be difficult, using a different grading system.

Here's some light reading http://www.doityourself.com/stry/a-comp ... VH82Bk84gY
Abolish Alliteration
Valiant

Post by Valiant »

thank you guys! I went out bought something like a 320, 400, and 600 and its most definitely doing the trick! I think I was just using to low grit and to high grit to effectively do the job.
eeun

Post by eeun »

One of the greatest tips I've come across for seam sanding was to use the fingernail sanding/polishing sticks. The finer ones have about a 320 / 400 grit.

Having hot primer shrink seams plagued me for years. Still does on occasion if I forget to lay down a couple very light coats first. Only SGT (superglue/talcum powder) seams are worry-free for me.
World's Tallest Jawa!
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Valiant wrote:I think I was just using to low grit and to high grit to effectively do the job.
Coarse grit paper will remove a lot of material, but leave huge valleys for subsequent efforts. I never use anyting coarser than 200 grit and that only for reshaping when I want to remove a lot of material. For normal seams, I tend to scrape the seam if I can with a blade or small scraper to get most of any excess material off the seam and then sand with 400 wet and a sanding block/sanding shape.

I'll put down a couple layers of filler primer and then sand them pretty much all the way back with the 400 grit and when I'm pretty happy do one more layer of normal primer and lightly touch that with 600 grit to knock off any flecks or orange peel. If I'm going for a real gloss finish (which I almost never do, so I don't have a lot of experience with this) I'll use a filler primer as the last coating and then use 600, and 800 grit over that. If I am not seeing a nice sheen with the 800 grit, then I don't have the surface smooth enough for a gloss coat and I'll do it again.

Sometimes, especially if you are kitbashing/scratchbuilding and have to blend many diferent materials together on a surface, it can take 8-10 full or partial sand/fill cycles to get things just perfect. Gloss finishes definitely require a lot more effort than matte finishes.
The future is in your hands. Build it!
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Kylwell wrote:
Valiant wrote: He is, I'm guessing just to be difficult, using a different grading system.
No, I think he's got his grits backwards. I think the ALO is aluminum oxide, the grit in wet-dry paper. The SIL is silica or silicon oxide (also known as "sand") which is one of the normal dry paper grits.

He talks about starting with 600 grit and then, at the end sanding with 150 grit all over, which is exactly the reverse of what you should do.

And 150 grit is waaaay too coarse for normal model work, especially on normal seams.

Paul
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Tankmodeler wrote:
Kylwell wrote:
Valiant wrote: He is, I'm guessing just to be difficult, using a different grading system.
No, I think he's got his grits backwards. I think the ALO is aluminum oxide, the grit in wet-dry paper. The SIL is silica or silicon oxide (also known as "sand") which is one of the normal dry paper grits.

He talks about starting with 600 grit and then, at the end sanding with 150 grit all over, which is exactly the reverse of what you should do.

And 150 grit is waaaay too coarse for normal model work, especially on normal seams.

Paul
No, it's the FEPA or Federation of European Producers of Abrasives non"P" grading system.

I use 150 all the time for hogging shapes but yes for general model building it's on the coarse side. IIRC I usually start @ about 340, maybe 240.
Abolish Alliteration
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Kylwell wrote: No, it's the FEPA or Federation of European Producers of Abrasives non"P" grading system.

I use 150 all the time for hogging shapes but yes for general model building it's on the coarse side. IIRC I usually start @ about 340, maybe 240.
So 150 under the FEPA system is a fine grit? What does it relate to? The "normal" grit system related to the size of mesh teh abrasive particles will pass through. What does the European system relate to?

Learned something new today. Thanks!