Stores cutting vinyl patterns for you?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dukat, S.G.

Stores cutting vinyl patterns for you?

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

All,

I've been drooling over Nick Sagan's Delta Quadrant Klingon D-5 for a couple of weeks now. The kit uses decals for the raised panels. Nick printed the decal pattern out on vinyl and applied those to his model instead of the decals.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... p?t=103896

I must say, I love the effect. From other builds I've seen, the kit's decals are outstanding, but I'm worried about matching a base coat to the green decal panels.

As such, I'm kicking around the idea of copying what Nick did, but before I start trying to print out and cut my own vinyl panels, I am curious:

Can stores like Office Max, Kinko's Copies or ilk do the same thing? I feel really silly for asking this question. I know some stores can handle vinyl letters, numbers and stuff, but I didn't know if they could manage complex patterns, if they could print them in color, etc.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Any SIGN store will have a vinyl cutter.
If you bring them a pattern to work from, typically one of their
staff can trace it for you, and set the cutter to work.

:wink:
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

I think this is exactly the right forum, Sean!

I also like the thin plating Nick Sagan made with vinyl. I would have worried about adhesion (Vinyl to plastic and paint to vinyl) but maybe it's not really a problem.

I'd like to get one of those Silhouette things for that. You could also cut masks, score styrene sheet for making parts, etc. It even will trace lines with the cutter, so maybe it will cut off excess decal carrier film. And you get to experiment, which can get expensive if you do it at a shop.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I recently got a Silhouette Cameo and it is awesome.

That is all.
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

I believe the vinyl will stick to the styrene, and paint should stick to the vinyl. The vinyl might shrink over time though. I have done a small amount of painting on vinyl.

I also own a vinyl cutter (been doing sign work for over 15 years). I could cut stuff, but I do not have time to trace anything, or recreate graphics, as my time is taken up with work and school. I can however cut stuff that has been created in Illustrator.

Glen
DOMENECH1776

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

I have a Silhouette, and from some of the forums for cardstock modelers, I've read that cardstock dulls the blades faster than styrene will.
Imagine Greater. I did and I keep coming up with Sci-Fi.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

If you have an EPS file just about any sign shop in the country can cut it for you. My company does it all the time- up to 48"- Vinyl will shrink up a bit over time but has no problem sticking to just about anything- we do Police car graphics and you do not want an upset customer who carries a gun for a living...
Enamel paints bond well and normal High-Performance vinyl is 2 mils thick so it is great to show subtle panel thicknesses.
I have been here for over 23 years and find vinyl to be excellent in model build enhancements.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/