Vinyl Model Construction

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Vinyl Model Construction

Post by El Gato »

I have not built a vinyl kit in two decades (literally, the first and last one I did was in 1993). All I remember is that I needed to reinforce the parts from the inside and that you have to be careful because some paints can dissolve vinyl. I can't remember what glue I used...

So now that I have three vinyl kits in the stash... um, help?
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
Wug

Post by Wug »

You can cement vinyl with epoxy or CA. Enamel paint will attack vinyl. You can prime vinyl with Mr. Surfacer, Future or most car primers. Paint it with acrylics or acrylic lacquer. If you must use an enamel, put down a good barrier coat of Future first but this might not work. When in doubt test first on the scrap you've cut off.

Styrene might attack vinyl if they come into contact. I made the mistake of storing my finished Wave Aestivlis in plastic peanuts.

Mike
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

i use expanding foam as a reinforcement and gorilla glue for building both work great.
on the foam make sure you have room for expansion and remove the excess.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Simple plaster is also a good material for internal reinforcements - not certain if expanding foam does not react with the vinyl over time? It's a perfect material for this purpose, though, just (IMHO very) messy...

For paint: ONLY use acryllic paint, at least for a primer coat. Once you have a firm primer coat, you might use solvent-based paint like enamels, but I would not recommend this. There's no bonding between the vinyl and the enamel, it sits like a film on the surface and can be easily damaged, even flake off.

For glue, I can recommend simple super glue.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Simple plaster is also a good material for internal reinforcements - not certain if expanding foam does not react with the vinyl over time? It's a perfect material for this purpose, though, just (IMHO very) messy...

For paint: ONLY use acryllic paint, at least for a primer coat. Once you have a firm primer coat, you might use solvent-based paint like enamels, but I would not recommend this. There's no bonding between the vinyl and the enamel, it sits like a film on the surface and can be easily damaged, even flake off.

For glue, I can recommend simple super glue.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Hey, thanks for the quick replies! Really appreciate the tips!
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

eeun

Post by eeun »

There's specific automotive primers for flexible parts, too.
World's Tallest Jawa!
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Do you know the name of it?