Buying Sandpaper?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Checksum

Buying Sandpaper?

Post by Checksum »

I am wanting to stock up on some sandpaper. Mainly for model building. But my local O'Reileys auto store is mega expensive for only a couple of sheets. So trying to be smart, I was hoping to buy online and buy in bulk. So where does everyone get the best deals on Sandpaper? Obviously I would want wet/dry and probably an assortment up to 2000 or possibly even higher for polishing.
Wug

Post by Wug »

I buy packs of 3M wet/dry sandpaper from Walmart or Home Depot. When you say "stock up" how much do you want to buy?
Checksum

Post by Checksum »

Well I would like to get maybe 10-20 sheets of say 1000. Maybe 5-10 sheets of 1500,2000. And maybe 5 sheets of something 15000-20000 or whatever is close to that for polishing finishes. Where I live most places dont have anything over 600 grit. Thats considered super fine. In my opinion its not. Its medium. 10000 or 15000 is super fine.
The one place that does have the finer grits wants like .80 to a dollar per sheet. They sell it by the sheet. Thats expensive if you ask me.
Checksum

Post by Checksum »

double post
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Wet or dry sandpaper is more expensive than the plain ol' hardware store garnet paper used in woodworking, just a fact of life on that one. And once you get past 2000 grit or so the price starts going up even more.

Unless you're sanding a lot or sanding on very hard surfaces a sheet will last a long time, I buy the 4 packs of 9"x11" sheets from Wal-Mart, a pack lasts me a long time, can't remember when I bought the last pack. For the finer grits (1000, 1500, 2000) I buy the 5 sheet packs of 3.67" x 9" from Wal-Mart as well.

I cut business card sized pieces out of the sheets and use those until they're used up or too raggedy to use anymore and then I cut a fresh piece. I think I started on a new piece of 400 grit sometime in September and it's still good (show you how fast I model though..).

I think the last time I used a whole sheet at once was to polish some scratches out of my car, for modeling purposes the stuff goes a long way so your average cost is quite low.

Ken
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Normal grades of sandpaper I get @ the hardware store. If I'm luck they might have 1200 or 2400.

Beyond that I picked up some polishing films, really fine sandpaper on plastic, from MicroMark. IIRC K&S also has a pack.
Abolish Alliteration
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools nearby, they have all those grits up to 1200 for like $4 for 5 sheets of 8" x 11". Or Wal-Mart has less of a selection, but they do have lots cheap.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

Stu Pidasso wrote:If you have a Harbor Freight Tools nearby, they have all those grits up to 1200 for like $4 for 5 sheets of 8" x 11". Or Wal-Mart has less of a selection, but they do have lots cheap.
Agreed. I tend to buy the basic sandpaper at HFT, and find it a perfectly reasonable price.
Checksum

Post by Checksum »

I actually do have a Harbor Freight Tools about 45 minutes south of me. It never dawned on me that they might carry sandpaper. I thought it was just a tool place.
I also think alot of my problem in using up lots of sandpaper was that I was dry sanding. I was using wet/dry sandpaper and dry sanding and I was going thru that stuff like water.
As for a polishing kit. Does anyone have any recommendations on that?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I use Novus or Tamiya polish.
Abolish Alliteration
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

80 cents a 8.5 x 11 sheet for 2000 grit wet/dry is really cheap. Be happy if you can find it that cheap.

For the 10K-20K sheets, expect to pay more.

Can I ask what kind of models require that kind of polishing? The only guys I know that go to that level of polish are the car guys and their 60" reflective shines.

Paul
Last edited by Tankmodeler on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The future is in your hands. Build it!
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

I was at AutoZone a couple of weeks ago and saw that the 3M/Scotch line they carry (of the smaller 3.75" x 9" sheets or whatever they are) now includes a 3000 grit. I think that for most modeling purposes, a rag made from an old T-shirt would work for polishing needs beyond that, unless you're talking about clear plastic.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

kenlilly106 wrote:Unless you're sanding a lot or sanding on very hard surfaces a sheet will last a long time, I buy the 4 packs of 9"x11" sheets from Wal-Mart, a pack lasts me a long time, can't remember when I bought the last pack. For the finer grits (1000, 1500, 2000) I buy the 5 sheet packs of 3.67" x 9" from Wal-Mart as well.

Ken
I was at Walmart yesterday, and I remembered your post. Got a couple packages while I was there.

Many thanks.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wug wrote:I buy packs of 3M wet/dry sandpaper from Walmart or Home Depot. When you say "stock up" how much do you want to buy?
Seconded. I buy a pack of the assorted stuff maybe once every few years or so. Cut strips off as needed.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

That black wet/dry can be epoxied to sticks, dowels, strips, marble slabs, etc. I still use the hobby shop strips, too. Though I did see a tip to epoxy egg carton styrofoam to a harder surface and sandpaper to make your own.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Once a year, there is this huge auto swap meet where I pick up wet/dry 600 on up to 2000 for roughly $15 for a package of 50. As you can guess, they are selling it to people who do body work.

So, check out those auto meets and see what you can find.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Find an auto body supply store- they are out there, you just have to look for them. And get a 3 pound tube of filler putty while you are there.