masking model for paint?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

azcoolman

masking model for paint?

Post by azcoolman »

has anyone used liquid latex to mask already built models like cockpits etc etc???...does anyone have any suggestions on brand and color etc??and how well it peels off etc??
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Liquid latex makes for a horrible mask. Takes long to cure and likes to peel up paint.

Of the liquid masking agents commonly available I can't say anything positive about them. I prefer Parafilm-M & Tamiya tape. Does exactly what I need and doesn't leave residue or peel up paint.
Abolish Alliteration
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

There is (at least in Europe) a Humbrol product called Maskol available, which is actually a water-solluble and pretty quickly drying latex stuff just for detail masking.

It's tricky to handle (probably any masking film product?), since it behaves like water (surface tension makes it "shrink"). It cloggs brushes if you try to apply it with such a tool - I use a toothpick, which works well. The stuff is very effective for small areas, e. g. clear canopies or small areas like cockpit instruments, position lights, and such. Sometimes better and easier to apply than a tape mask.

Maskol is of violet color and dries up to a semi-translucent film. Might need more than one coat for a solid cover, and you might want to bake a piece of tape into the film which makes it easier to peel the latex skin off, once you have finished painting.

When it peels off paint from below, then that paint does not adhere well to the surface below! I use it on enamels, and never had such a problem yet?
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
matt3o

Post by matt3o »

I use Mr.Masking Sol Neo (watch out there are other versions, the one called "Neo" is the best). You can't use it on complex surfaces with many details, but on fairly flat surfaces I had no issues. Also very good for simple chipping.
Adamjohn

Post by Adamjohn »

I utilize a toothpick which works well. The stuff is extremely viable for minor zones clear shades or minor ranges like cockpit instruments, position lights.
At times preferable and simpler to apply over a tape veil.
[/url]