Please dubble check my math

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

chiver

Please dubble check my math

Post by chiver »

I am soon going to start my first scratch build, I am thinking to do it 1:2500 scale, so I can put some other ships that are the same scale so it looks right. So if it is 5.5km( real life) tall that is 5500 M or 500,000 CM ( working in CM to keep conversions simple). So if I devide 550,000 by 2500 that works to 220CM tall model. Or at 3.3KM wide would work to 330,000CM

Thanks in advance
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
chiver

Post by chiver »

Correction diameter is 3.8KM so it should work out to 152CM model at 1:2500 scale
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

You're building this!

Ambitious! My ambitious plan is to build the Golden Gate Bridge and environs in 1/1400 scale, as they will appear in the 24th century. Care to wager who will finish first?

And your math is spot on, now that your data is correct.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Can I double check your spelling? :wink:

Sorry, had to. :P

Would love to see that build!

-Rog
chiver

Post by chiver »

Yes that is what I'm building, lol and yes I know my spelling is off, kinda tired and I'm doing this on my I phone so all I have to say is...damn auto correct.

I'm just in the middle of research, trying to find plans that I can use. So far the only one. I found that had any specs stated it was about 6km tall.

I'm thinking of a build in two parts. "The mushroom top" and "the stem" mostly for lighting access and transport.

The top might start as a wire frame. For the stem I was thinking some PVC tube or something
chiver

Post by chiver »

Yes that is what I'm building, lol and yes I know my spelling is off, kinda tired and I'm doing this on my I phone so all I have to say is...damn auto correct.

I'm just in the middle of research, trying to find plans that I can use. So far the only one. I found that had any specs stated it was about 6km tall.

I'm thinking of a build in two parts. "The mushroom top" and "the stem" mostly for lighting access and transport.

The top might start as a wire frame. For the stem I was thinking some PVC tube or something
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

So, in 1/2500 scale it's 220cm tall & 152cm in diameter or 86.6" tall and 60" in dia.

Dude! Where in the name of ghod will you keep such a thing? Even a 1/4 arc segment of it attached to an interior corner of a room is too tall for most ceiling heights.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!
chiver

Post by chiver »

never thought of that...... #-o

time to rethink.... so im thinking a 4000 scale should put it at about 125 cm tall by 95 cm top diamater.

might be a little bit more sane

the only other thing i am trying figure out is if i need to buy the blue prints or if i can use the scale on screen to find the rest of the cylinders diamaters.

.......what have i got my self into.....
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

chiver wrote:never thought of that...... #-o

time to rethink.... so im thinking a 4000 scale should put it at about 125 cm tall by 95 cm top diamater.

might be a little bit more sane

the only other thing i am trying figure out is if i need to buy the blue prints or if i can use the scale on screen to find the rest of the cylinders diamaters.

.......what have i got my self into.....
Well, that's still bloody enormous, 4' tall & 3' in diameter.

Where would you get 1/4000 trek starships? Are there many of them out there?

The problem here is that the station you want to build is simply so much bigger than the ships that it will always dominate any display you make using it. Get the size of the station down to something rational (ok, still too big, but almost rational) and the ships turn into buttons and disappear into the seams of the station model.

Why not pick a much smaller station where the ships are of a rational size compared to it. Sorta like a DS 9 ratio of ship to station. Maybe a K7 or, if you like. a little larger. There are a lot of images for Trek stations that would have a better size ratio of ship to station so you could do a reasonable job on the ships and not have to store the station in a shipping container.

:)

Paul
chiver

Post by chiver »

I have a ds9 model and I've had a love afair with this station for some time, I don't want to go ridiculously huge but still want it big enough to get some nice detail. 4'1 X 3'1 seams a doable size, I wanted to get it close to the size of the studio model. I know I was overzelous with the 2500 scale. But there is a picture, or at least there was, with the studio model in a wooden box with a women standing next to it. And 4'X3 looks close
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Fair enough, but are there any 1/4000 starship models to go with it?
chiver

Post by chiver »

Not that I know of, which is why I jumped to the 2500 scale, but I got ahead of my self and didn't realize just how big it would be lol.

If there's a ship scale small enough to go with it. I would use them,
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

If you can alter your scale to 1:3788 then you can use Star Fleet Battles gaming miniatures, a number of which can be found on Ebay at any one time. As many of these are old and pewter/lead, the detail is not great, but there are some resin and injection moulded plastic miniatures in this scale, so you should be OK. One thing, though, most of the miniatures I've seen are TOS as opposed to the later refit period or STNG era. If you wanted something of the next gen era, you might be S.O.L.

Paul
chiver

Post by chiver »

i think i will stick with 4000 scale for now.

I'm just trying to figure out if i need to buy blue prints, or if i can use the ones on screen or a print out with a scale on it. but none of the blue prints show it to be 3.8KM by 5.5 KM
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

chiver wrote:i think i will stick with 4000 scale for now.
As far as I know there are no 1/4000 models out there. There _are_ 1/3788 models. Might be a LOT easier to get what you are looking for.
chiver

Post by chiver »

So that would work out to be 145.19 CM X 100.31CM
chiver

Post by chiver »

Tall then wide,