Acrylic rods

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

edlibr

Acrylic rods

Post by edlibr »

I acquired some round extruded acrylic rods to hold a model up off the base. 3/8 inch diam. Any suggestions for cutting them? Should I do a metal fitting in the model to hold the rod(s)? I don't at the moment have any idea what sort of socket or fitting to use.

The model is the Remora from Industria Mechanika. Wonderful piece, essentially an antigrav boat with cool bits. Solid resin hull about a foot long, so moderately heavy but plenty of mass into which to drill.

Bright ideas, anyone?
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I think most folks bend the rods so as to enter the model through the engine exhausts, if it's a model of a flying thing.

Or if there's a light shining downwards, you could put a light-bulb for the light and then put the rod as the light beam ...

FYI, I've never lighted a model in my life, so take the above at face value ... :)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

To cut it, score a heavy line around the rod with a saw and snap it. Works even with 1.5in rod.

I generally just drill a hole and slide it in.

If the hull is hollow tho' you'll want some lateral support and any tube that will fit and be glued in will work.
Abolish Alliteration
edlibr

acrylic rods

Post by edlibr »

Kylwell wrote:To cut it, score a heavy line around the rod with a saw and snap it. Works even with 1.5in rod.

I generally just drill a hole and slide it in.

If the hull is hollow tho' you'll want some lateral support and any tube that will fit and be glued in will work.
Thanks, Kylwell. Useful info. Now to get out the drill and (gulp) make some holes.
Tankmodeler

Re: acrylic rods

Post by Tankmodeler »

edlibr wrote:Now to get out the drill and (gulp) make some holes.
Make the holes before you finish the model, of course, so you can correct any issues. Also, on the inside if the model make sure there is some support for the tube as it sits inside the model.

A really good way to do it is to use a matching hollow tube that the rod will fit smoothly inside and then secure that to the model with something like epoxy glue. The model, with the hole & tube inside can then be completely finished and mounted on top of the rod.

Another possibility if you can't find something that will accept the rod snugly is to use a length of the rod, coated with something like vaseline, and then, with the rod inside the incomplete model pack an amount of epoxy putty around the greased end of the rod, thus creating the hollow space for teh rod and anchoring it to the model hull all at the same time. Leave a small hole at the end of the putty wad to prevent a vacuum and when the putty cures, gently twist the greased rod to break it free of teh epoxy putty and then take it out. Clean up the rod, finish the model and then you can stick it back into teh model as above.

Always a number of ways to skin the cat.

Paul
The future is in your hands. Build it!