Anyone use Blue Hawks rotary tool?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ulvdemon

Anyone use Blue Hawks rotary tool?

Post by ulvdemon »

Happen to notice in the paper that Lowes is selling a rotary tool with accessories for 60% off. The company is Blue Hawk, never heard of them and reviews are scarce. Has anyone used this particular brand before?
Current build: 1/32 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato
LobsterOverlord

Post by LobsterOverlord »

Blue Hawk is the Lowe's Store brand of low price economy tools. They have Kobalt as their other brand of tools. I would pick it up, as I love lowe's store brand stuff. Good quality (albeit chinese-made most of the time) stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it were something I needed to replace currently.

John M>
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Can't speak for Blue Hawk, but I got a No-Namo brand set from Big Lots for really cheap. The tool itself was garbage - wobbly and close to no power at all.

But (and it's a big but!) what made it worthwhile was all the accessories that came with it: diamond coated bits, carbide bits, cut-off wheels, polishing wheels and compound, several collets and bunches of grinding bits of different grits. The "extras" were definitely worth several times what I paid for it.

Kev