Peeling resin?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Peeling resin?

Post by El Gato »

Eons ago I got PNT's Mini Mechas' Avenger Class model. This morning I started working on it and the resin on the engines and torpedo pod is coming off in layers. As first they were thin sheets so I thought it was leftover mold material, but now the sheets are getting thicker. Does anyone know what's going on here?
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I've never had it happen with resin but I have tried some of the lesser epoxy putties before discoveries Aves. When I sanded them, chunks would come out of them. Why? They weren't mixed properly. Why was that? The stuff was old and unable to mix properly by then.

It's probably a lost cause at this point, I am afraid. You may try placing it with some gentle heat or burying in some kitty litter (never tried that with the litter, but it's an experiemt I want to see someone try) to mop up any weeping. Then you may be able to re-sculpt the problem areas.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

My guesses are either an incomplete mix or maybe your kit was poured using the leftovers from other batches and they gradually filled the mold over a few days or hours?

Only thing I can think of to try and fix it is to get some thin CA and glue all of the layers together and then putty the surface and get the profile right.

Ken
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Thank you both for the comments and suggestions. I'm going to try these one at a time and hopefully something works.
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Any chance on a pic or two?
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I think Ken nailed it.

I use small plastic cups for casting, and any excess resin that is left in the cup gets dumped into another cup. Over the course of a little time, that excess resin from all those pours makes a nice little chunk of resin. I once thought it would be a good idea just to use that chunk of resin in my lathe to make things. It doesn't work all that well in practice, because I could peel that chunk of resin apart just like a flaky biscuit. Unless the resin is "green" and not fully cured, any resin added to it won't chemically bond and you basically have separate pieces. That can be disaster if you're trying to use that technique to cheaply fill a big mold!
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Jimi - I'll try to take a couple of pics tonight or tomorrow and post them.

UPDATE: I will be getting replacement parts soon, so that's very cool :)