A newb question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Endbomb

A newb question

Post by Endbomb »

Hi I have been model building since I have been 12 years old and recently I am looking into scratch building from styrene sheets but I am struggling with the concept of casting a mild and making a resin piece from the styrene part? Will it hold do I need to do something to make it more firm. Or will I need to construct it from a different material any input will be great thank you
Go4Fun

Post by Go4Fun »

Welcome aboard Endbomb.
I think if you hunt the forums here you might find some posts about molding and vaccuforming that may help.
I've taken the 'cheater route' of searching out a ship that has most of the main body contours I want and going from there. Maybe that could be an approach for your first attempt at a custom build before attacking a scratch build.
Enjoy the forums,
R. J.
"Go in peace." The Captain said as he launched the planet destroyer.
Endbomb

Post by Endbomb »

Thank you for taking the time to reply and thn for the welcome aboard I will be scouring the forums I see what u can find on the topics been searching other forums but they don't really focus on if the mold can be made from the master being made from styrene. But I will keep looking
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

A mold can be taken off of practically any material.
Whether the part survives or not depends on how it is constructed. :o

Styrene is fine. :wink:
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Endbomb

Post by Endbomb »

That's great thank you for the info much appreciated
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

I made molds from scratched styrene pieces and it worked out well. I also use Lego to build a reservoir and place this on a small sheet of styrene and make my first pour.

My greatest purchase was a book by Shepard Payne,... How to build dioramas. It has a section in there for mold making and casting.
Endbomb

Post by Endbomb »

That's great I will check and see if I can track down the book thank you hope I can find it
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

Little bit of an update on that book... The author is "Shepard Paine" and the book is published by Kalmback Books and the ISBN number is 0-89024-551-7
Endbomb

Post by Endbomb »

Awesome that will make it way easier to track down thank you for the info